• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

rebuild/clean room setup ideas ??

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
in my last shop i remember welding and grinding away, not 6 feet away was a rebuild torque converter and rotary manifold that needs worked on. i was like i need a area that i can work on and keep this stuff clean until install.

so the little rebuild/clean room is under way its 30 ft long and 8ft deep 8ft tall it will have its own heat and air mini split system. it will have a man door and a 8ft wide rollup door for the fork lift to bring stuff in.

i was thinking keep the area in front of roll up door open with some type of i beam trolly system to move stuff to work tables that would be left and right of door. what are those work tables called that turn heavier objects?? i need one of those.

any way how would you design a rebuild room in a 30ft by 8ft by 8ft tall space. ???

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Speaking for myself I'm not keen on long narrow rooms, as they seem to turn into 50% useless corridor by volume, so I hope you can have your door half way up the 30ft side at least, whether that leaves a decent angle of approach for putting heavier items onto benches is the other thing, if you're working on heavy stuff. But it sounds like you have an overhead gantry in mind?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Have u seen those welding screens on wheels?? Basically, its a large black nonflammable tarp on wheels.
Not to big for that size of work space.. Kinda like the old timey portable screens they used in hospitals.
That would be perfect for separating your work space AND do double duty as a welding screen.
Good luck..it sounds like ur gonna need it in such a confined area..
I have a 24x32 work area & sometimes find it confining.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
IMHO 30ft x 8ft would only work if you had the rollup door in the centre of one of the long sides and a runway beam running lengthwise down the 30ft length of the shop. Then anything you need could be dumped in the centre by a forklift or pallet truck, hoisted up and moved to one side or the other depending on where you wanted it.

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
nige, that is exactly how it will be set up. the shop floor is 104 x 64 with 2 20 x 18 ft doors running thru for two bays, this little room needs to be narrow, because i do not want to get in the way of the drive thru bays. so machine or truck disassembly takes place in the bays then component tear down/rebuild goes to the narrow clean room.

i probably will put a small rollup in the middle then maybe another on one end for the otc revolver engine stand to sit in. the biggest item the room would have in it would be a d6 tranny and finals or maybe a 3406 on the stand.

now i just need to figure the runway beam, also the tear down tables who has build or bought any of those with oil catch tops,or just regular tables /benches. any pictures out there on this stuff?

has far has tear down and assembly how do you guys organize the parts has they come off and go on is there a table for this this,or how do you do it?

i know tctractors is LOL right now, what kind of a wimp needs a clean room.

JD955SC

When I go to tear anything down I clean off one of the big steel work tables that are throughout the shop and have a parts washer beside it. Tear it down, photos and cleaning as I go, and laying everything out neatly and then you can cover it with rags or we have large “engine blankets” to lay over stuff like that.

You can get some trays and stuff to help keep the bolts corralled and neat too. Bags and such help also. I use zip ties to keep stacks of stuff together also.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked in "Clean" shops that were as dirty as lean-to welding shops. We would assemble third members or transmissions then cover all opening and plastic wrap any exposed engagement surfaces. Stored them on open racking and within slinging distance of grinder discharges. Have also worked inside shops with cleaning personnel working non stop to keep the detritus down to a minimum, cannot state either had less failures or issues. My workshop currently is WAY TOO Small. Clean and machine side(lathe, mill and tools storage) is heated/cooled so humidity is controlled 30x18, working area is roughly 30x30 and small enough I end up working outside more than not, sucks. And YES, I am aware is a Hobby sized farm shop.