• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rear End Differential Blown - Any thoughts on repairs?

skobydog

I have 1987 New Holland LB-620. New Holland no longer has parts.

I blew up my rear differential. Can anyone tell me if there are parts from other machines that will fit this? I read somewhere a person said these machines use dana 60 series axles is there a way to cross-reference the parts? Any other ideas of how I may be able to repair?

If I'm unable to repair can I still drive this with front differential only without causing damage to it? At this point the machine may be useless anyway. Thanks

vlcsnap-2017-04-18-12h11m57s733_zpsepqfn1jj.jpg

Transmission Type Hydrostatic
Number of Speeds F/R 2F/2R
Drive 4WD
Net Horsepower 53 hp

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
There will be a number stamped on the axle tube, close to the center section. It is the only way to identify a Dana axle when ordering parts.

Then you'll need a Dana distributor to order from.

Ed

skobydog

There will be a number stamped on the axle tube, close to the center section. It is the only way to identify a Dana axle when ordering parts.

Then you'll need a Dana distributor to order from.

Ed
Thanks,

c34835 was stamped on the outside pretty clearly.

Manual says it's a Dana 70 limited slip.

I was also able to clean the metal "tag" that was bolted to the dif. The numbers are 43.6 7.17 so i guess that's the tooth count and gear ratio.

Not sure what other measurements i need or where to find them.

Last edited:

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
That should be all you need.
Dana doesn't care about the application, that stamped number is all thats needed. If you were to tell them it's in a 78 Chevy pickup, they couldn't help you.

Ed