• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Really stupid diesel fuel question

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
Sorry if this doesn't 100% fit in this section, I had a hard time figuring out where this went.

Well to the topic at hand. We got our D336 swap complete in our 623 pan and its currently sitting with a 1/2 tank of 19 year old diesel fuel. Is there a concern of the diesel not being as "potent" as some new fuel would kinda like gasoline going dead? Thanks for your help guys!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
19 year old fuel? Hmmm. You've got a fresh engine in it. If things go according to plan, that engine will hopefully be burning hundreds of gallons of fuel during it's new lease on life...because our company actually has work to do (thank God). IMHO...firing it off with 19 yr old fuel is crazy. If nothing else, the tank must have condensation and rust in it from 19 yrs at half a tank. I think you should drain the tank, wash it out with a hot pressure washer, and use the old fuel to burn a brushpile. ;)

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
Hmm.. we got it started yesterday and ran it for near an hour before buttoning everything up (ie. belly pan, top sheild, actually put antifreeze in it etc. etc) The reason why i'm asking this is because the motor seemed to be down on power. It wasn't the motor itself since it came out of a running pan, but it seemed like it might have been fuel related. We changed the two filters and cleaned the wire precleaner but it didn't get better. I'll try and pass this along to the big boss. However I know he'll never go for it...stubborn *** man :D

heavylift

algae... dirt... rust...water...Jimmy Hoffa..... drain it ... send it to a recyler... or use it to start bush piles on fire...

heavylift

well show him the price of the fuel filters... after a couple of cases, he might want to drain the tank.

xcavator120

Occupation
Equipment Operator
algae... dirt... rust...water...Jimmy Hoffa :pointlaugh ..... drain it ... send it to a recyler... or use it to start bush piles on fire...

Yep, if there's a chance Jimmy's in there, you risk not only shutting your engine down, but the whole worksite!! :lmao Seen on the news the other day where the FB1 is digging around for him again. If Jimmy's in there they'll converge on the site, along with Heraldo Rivera and his crews. Tell your boss that it would be faster and cheaper to just dispose of the fuel... :laugh: :pointlaugh:lmao

Drifter

19 year old fuel? Hmmm. You've got a fresh engine in it. If things go according to plan, that engine will hopefully be burning hundreds of gallons of fuel during it's new lease on life...because our company actually has work to do (thank God). IMHO...firing it off with 19 yr old fuel is crazy. If nothing else, the tank must have condensation and rust in it from 19 yrs at half a tank. I think you should drain the tank, wash it out with a hot pressure washer, and use the old fuel to burn a brushpile. ;)

X2

Seems down on power. No kidding.

ontarioparts

19 year fuel? Its a wonder the thing started. For something like this, I would suggest a complete maintenance. Change oil, fuel, hydraulic fluids, coolant, check sensors, change all filters, etc. Nothing short of a complete maintenance now may get that machine up to optimum power and efficiency again.

regards
Marlon Khan
John Deere Tractor Parts