• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Fenders gonna take some time!! Have to get structure integrity back together, find a source for self adhesive Jute 1/8” then can flip to showy side and work on those smaller issues

E3C660C9-03BD-4C14-BF01-34A37EC0877F.jpeg 15BCDAD0-D12F-44A8-862D-5E08C2F57EE6.jpeg 184A89C7-AC4A-4B2A-B6D8-2E04222CD22D.jpeg 4334F35A-6BB6-4394-A4AF-10E8B18C4B39.jpeg

Three layers burned thru in spots
Have to layer back in to stop cracks already forming. And yes, that one darker spot is wet, Sucking water out with rags to wick it up, will then have to heat gun the face and boil remnants out.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Made a text to a Boat shop here in town, to see if have any of the Foam Core that was hidden in these spots, may have to make something else do for that as was only around 1/8" thick, should hear back on Monday. The Noise covering should not be a issue, any resilient, self adhesive covering to stop rock banging from underside will do.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Looks like mass loaded vinyl also known as sound dampening vinyl glued on with some strong adhesive. It's what I used to insulate the inside of my camper, at least one of the three layers of insulation in here.
I would clean up the fiberglass and fill it in with more fiberglass and epoxy/resin layers several. Put a layer on let dry for bit and keep doing till filled out then sand it down and put the MLV on with some adhesive to hold it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The inner skin on the fender is separated from the outer by the thin foam glassed between, can see multiple purposes as to not transferring noise and contact fracturing from thrown materials as rocks or spalled pavement chunks, also reduces weight increases flexibility. Think will stay will similar basis. The other noise sheets could be mlv, tears like old style self adhesive jute we put under car mats and carpets. Will get one or other as finish rehab.

As dug around in the break spots is pretty evident of that foam breaking down from water and spray as exposed areas were further damaged yet pretty stabile not far away from chewed edges.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Packing foam they use to pack packages or sill plate sealant foam might fit the bill on thickness up in there. Sill plate foam is what I wrapped the poles on my pole barn with to allow the concrete to expand/contract I poured two days ago.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I still have some, somewhere, may have to do some digging!!

How did the Floors turn out??????
Turned out great, better than expected, the hours upon hours of reading up helped, the information you and everyone else provided helped with suggestions and watching videos helped. Now I have been busy watering it when it gets over 50 degrees to help the crystals grow and make the slab stronger plus prevent cracking much as possible. Next up relief cuts with my circular saw.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sanded down as far as I wanted to, seems there was considerable cover-over from older damage the previous repairer just filled with primer and repainted. Will be considerable resin then filler go on these. Outer outline is most recent repaint, then a gray region then next white layer and more gray then glass. Some spots have Red Bondo in them.

IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0572.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The outer skin is slightly cooked from duals contact, Underside is repaired at these points, should be able to get resin back into the glass and filler over on top skin. Just a great deal of area to work.

Black Dot is not a hole, is where the backing foam showed thru from the break thru in the original photos.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Resin and matte on spots more severe this morning, will layer in more matte later today on DEEP spots as on Tail Lamp box, the Hole spot and a physical break on R Rr fender top. So far nothing beyond repairable. Will have close to $800 JUST in paint for these with the Primer and Primer Sealer. Had to buy quart more Paint and Clear as to dealing with the Front Fender repaints.

Odd event, pulled paint can (Almost Empty) where I THOUGHT had read hand written 'Gray' on top Lid to order the Quart, ended up Consequentially ordering more Blue so these will be Blue with what is left of Gray can spray Tail Light Boxes as a Offset and Use Up. I dare say with all the Grief I had spraying the Front Fenders (Five Total Times!! 2L, 3R) some force directed me to buy Blue where I am NOT upset as that sprayed Well.