1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Readying for the KW

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by DMiller, Oct 13, 2020.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Well out of comfort zone today. Almost to point of hand sand close edge details.

252F38BF-624C-4C10-922A-9764C4DE3A9E.jpeg 7EF854EC-FD68-4023-BF0B-E91F26F3FBA4.jpeg

2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    So, ran out of plastic so hdwe store tomorrow, open at 7. First off will be prime sealant on lift spot. Little blend sand and wipe down can move to colors.
    51C4A377-C04F-4083-8250-B1ED56EBBEA6.jpeg

3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Last of the Major Components I will need to buy is a Faux Grilldenser Grill (prefer that look) and a Hood internal Insulation package, for noise and heat. All but three retainer stubs are still under the hood, have all but four press fit plastic washers for the system where found it comes with those new, replacement Bumper mount bolts and Dulled or Flattened Black Frame Paint. Beyond those will need to rebuild the Fbgls fenders sitting next to my shop and install.
    Still need to get back inside Right door as latch will not open from inside and need to go thru AC system AGAIN.

As to Rear sleeper corners, we have a company called Craftsman Industries near here, may see if can form some Stnls Stl rolled covers for the lower regions, 22" tall, roughly 11" OA Wide on a 4" Radius.

4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Cocoon completed, fender and corner wiped down with oil/grease remover, evaporated MASSIVELY quick so shot an eye at thermometer, 97 in shop, called it for today, took a shower.

56wrench, Truck Shop and John C. like this.
  5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    First layer prime sealer on corner, will see if tries to lift before further adds.

Truck Shop likes this.
  6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Started Color, one small run on second coat blue on corner will sand out before Clear. Gray on the other hand for some really BAD reason ran in three spots, is humid as hell and reducer not flashing well enough, will have to allow to dry an hour to sand those down prior to a second coat.

56wrench likes this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Gray ran on side face under T/S hole area and at front under headlamp bucket.

Really pizzed me off yet is only First coat.
    82484454-45C1-40CE-A3AA-65D1CF5A3316.jpeg A9F61E3B-AE18-477A-8E3E-E710586B4909.jpeg

8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Managed to get sand out done and third coat to fender. Will be around 11 ish and can spray clear.

56wrench likes this.
  9. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    So far
    So good
    F8F10198-046F-4AB7-8421-8635875C338F.jpeg

10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Well I am TORQUED.

Two places on Outer Fender Flange are funky, clear is on and looks TERRIBLE. Top of Fender and Head lamp bucket is Fine, just that outer flange so will resort to masking THAT off and Stripping THAT back down and repaint just that flange side. Just Worked up beyond sense.

Nothing seems to go well on this job.

11. Tags

Tags Senior Member

Don’t get so down DMiller, you’re not a professional body man/painter. Think you’re doing an amazing job, I would never tackle painting something like that, dump body or flatbed is about as adventurous as I would get. Hang in there, have a nice bourbon tonight and git after it again tomorrow, you’re sooooo close, it’ll feel real good when it’s done.

JPV, 56wrench, Jrc1 and 4 others like this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Old body man quote
    Cannot make the fault stop, sNd it down, start over

And here I am today, and yes sucks
    B63E743F-3AA1-4899-A4BF-2D5F395F67B8.jpeg

56wrench and Spud_Monkey like this.
  13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Started at 4:30 this morning, first coat THREE GD Runs, allowed to dry where could sand them out then TWO additional coats, picked FOUR GD Gnats off the wet second coat. On last coat spotted a hair or piece of lint or gnat tracks on fender transition edge, in a few minutes will LIGHTLY sand that down and hit the area ONE LAST TIME. Should all go well, FINGERS ALL CROSSED!, will be spraying Clear at 9:30/10 this morning. WHAT A FORKING BIOTCH this fender has been!!

14. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Spot turned out to be yet Another GD gnat
    Rolled around like a mud wrestler before succumbed.
    Sanded, wiped with reducer, allowed to flash and used up last of paint in cup.
    Result before Clear
    Wet area just right of reflection halo on rear view was Gnat
    75A03408-6D50-4CAB-909F-0AF17B2B3F11.jpeg 22A616CD-C3B0-4D75-86FB-9B5BE313B194.jpeg

15. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Gun clean
    Be about an hour to start clear

DB2, Camshawn and Truck Shop like this.
  16. The Peej

The Peej Senior Member

lots of work and looks amazing. Thank you for sharing.

56wrench and DMiller like this.
  17. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Would not wish this on a experienced body man!!!

Old Doug likes this.
  18. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I remember being at my cousins shop as soon as he put the paint gun down he grabbed the tweezers.

DMiller likes this.
  19. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've always hated automotive paints and painting. Thinners, reducers, hardeners, correct air and feed flows, HPLV guns, clean air and on and on. I have a very high opinion of your work and professionalism on the project.

I painted my house a week ago. That's the extent of any painting I ever intend to do for the rest of my life.

JPV, Camshawn, Truck Shop and 4 others like this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Some days YOU get the bear, my week has been the Bear and has CHEWED Heavily on my tuccas.

56wrench, JPV, Camshawn and 1 other person like this.