1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Readying for the KW

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by DMiller, Oct 13, 2020.

1. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

When I was real young, my grandpa used to get the organic solids waste from the local sewage treatment plant to spread on his fields for free. It was almost a slurry and couldn't be spread when they brought it out, so it was dumped on the edge of the field and allowed to dry out over the summer to be spread after harvest. My dad and grandpa swore they've never ate better tomatoes than the volunteer plants that grew off the slurry pile as it dried out.

That's kind of how it happens around here too. Guys do it, just dont get caught.

I grew up in a dense residential area around a lake. My neighbor, who's house is 40 ft from my parents, decided to burn a small pile of brush on a large pile of tires instead of pay for disposal. The black plume could be seen for miles. The fire department got called out to extinguish the fire and he got fined heavily for it. Later, he lost the house to foreclosure (650 sq ft POS house on .1 acre lot). My dad bought it and we discovered that partially burnt pile was still on the back edge of his lot, under all sorts of other junk he left.

DMiller, DB2, 56wrench and 1 other person like this.
  2. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    My father was Fire Warden. He was a conservationist before the term Environmentalist was used. He went off for training where pollution was a big part of the subject matter. After that, no more burning insulation off copper scrap & no more burning tires. I'd still sneak them under a pile, then sweat it if he came around before or during light up.
    My system works great! I put three tires stacked. Bottom tire gets gasoline, second gets diesel, third gets drain oil. Pile the brush on top. Light up involves throwing a coffee can of gas on it, then a match.

Years after Dad's death I got a burn permit from the then Fire Warden, a man so contrary he washed with dirt & dried off with water. I was sure he'd refuse me the permit. Instead he granted the permit, & asked if I needed any tires!

DMiller, Camshawn, DB2 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

You must have a different kind of farmer there here no farmer would be caught dead with some ones old used tires on his truck. There are some short haul owners that will use them.

DMiller likes this.
  4. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

I used to buy tire casings from my tire shop with about 30% tread left for my old tandem grain truck. That particular truck never went to town so there was no point putting new tires on it because they would have rotted off long before they wore out

DMiller likes this.
  5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    To burn a tire here for any reason would be seen the same as lighting an orphanage on fire. In many parts you aren't allowed to burn brush at all. Clearing contractors have to bring in grinders and then have a place to dispose of the material.

DMiller, oarwhat, JPV and 1 other person like this.
  6. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Around here they are taken free as recycling.
    They make bumper curbs as one product.

DMiller and 56wrench like this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    nothing better than a good sh!tty tomato.

8. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Not to run, to hold plastic on a silage bunk.

Steve Frazier, DMiller and John C. like this.
  9. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

We used to use car tires to hold down plastic on silage. Nobody wants to handle a few hundred truck tires on a hot day;)

DMiller and JPV like this.
  10. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    Not me I don’t run any scabs or recaps. I am a tire snob. I can’t stand miss matched tires.

DMiller likes this.
  11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    That pen & ink I did for you has a two toyo's on the left rear and the rest are dc's with
    one toyo and a continental on the steer.

Old Doug, DMiller, Junkyard and 3 others like this.
  12. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

Just the semi truck tire sidewalls. Seperate the tread fron sidewall, keep sidewall, trash the tread part. They work really well for keeping silage plastic down, and they don't hold foul water. We stack then as we remove from pile, and then use a bale spear to carry them up onto the pile.

13. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    DAD21FB6-CC97-426E-94E6-8B55CB458E18.jpeg D9698BB4-1227-4839-AAEF-01811F49547B.jpeg Pretty sure all the drives are the same. You might have me on the steer tires. Lol

doublewide, DMiller and JPV like this.
  14. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    You actually checked,------------lol.

DMiller, kshansen, Junkyard and 3 others like this.
  15. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    I can’t stand mismatched tires either. I seldom run them out either. About 5-6 years is it, especially steers. I don’t buy junk either. For what a failure can cost why take a chance. Around the farm is different but up and down the road I won’t risk it. I will say had the decision been up to me in regard to the tires I sent with Miller I’d have run them longer. I did what I was told, got new and kept them :)

16. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I pull trailers and drives on average at 5 to 6/32nds. Steers if wearing straight 8/32nds. Just depends.

DMiller and DB2 like this.
  17. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Of my 8 drive tires on my dump truck I have 5 different brands, steers are a different brand again. As long as the steers match and the rest are in good shape and reasonably same tread depth I couldn't careless beyond that. Going to be replacing 4 of them within a year or two due to sidewall cracks and will buy all the same, but I don't care if they match what's on there now. I just hope by then prices are back down to like $200/tire for a decent chinese tire.

18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap Geezer
    Been working early of days to stay in the cool in Cut & Buff about got the machine where I will just tolerate the miscellaneous flaws and small rough spots as paint will still look better than the aged rot it had. Had door open airing the dust and late previous day’s heat out as Sun came up, got to looking at the color where believe actually got something right!! The Deep Blue KW Metallic paint code is supposed to do this!!
    Direct to side
    9EBA677D-AAB7-4096-B4B6-BC8E1474D0A0.jpeg

Off angle to front

1F1187A4-4D1A-48B6-BF6D-9692DECB87CC.jpeg

19. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Has pearl in the base. Looks good.

Labparamour and DMiller like this.
  20. scooter01922

scooter01922 Member

Looking GOOOOOOOD

56wrench, Labparamour and DMiller like this.