1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Readying for the KW

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by DMiller, Oct 13, 2020.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Not just yet, need to do some sanding and buffing.

Truck Shop likes this.
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Have Doc visit first thing of morning, get a Aortic Ultrasound as due to being a long time smoker in the past, find out how much actual damage I did. Afterwards be coming home to work on the beast some more. Have until Friday to get much more done, then going to OK, pickup tires and give JY another few days of extra hands on his shop mods.. Be back Monday the 22nd where will order frame paint for the rear and install the tires to wheels, dispose of the old ones. Will be busting it to get the odd small parts polished and back on after paint buff. Have exhaust pieces thru the mufflers to hang, not sure how tall or if turnouts for stacks yet, loads of odds and ends to still get including a grill. Most of the old Chrome and Stainless parts need buff out and shined up.

Camshawn, 56wrench, kshansen and 3 others like this.
  3. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    By the time you sand with super fine and buff it will real nice good colors.

4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Doc appt. went fine report already in, Nothing as to Aneurism evidence, Aortic wall appears to be nominal in thickness, does have a "Ectasia" spot 2.8cm x 1.9cm where explained in the report just need to review that in Five Years.
    Got back to sanding this morning, already POd, a bubble at the R Headlamp bucket Outer corner of hood came away this morning, looks like MORE mask and REDO. Walked out of shop and going to lunch with ,y cousin at noon. Damned near had Right Side of Hood completed, then this, will have to feather out dress and repaint that area and re-clear that same spot, will likely shoot a re-clear to entire Headlamp Bump on Fender.

5. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Decommissioned
    Might want to drag it out here when I get this pole barn done, no humidity to mess with the painting :p

kshansen and DMiller like this.
  6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Three and a half days later, JY has a reasonable shop bathroom electrical is supplied and working as is sink and toilet he had already set.
    Tires are here, he was as correct as could be, as to 30-40% tread life remaining at about 3/8”, no boots plugs patches or nails/screws

9BE40DAC-E136-489F-869A-4BEB36663A12.jpeg 087B9557-35B8-44ED-AAB5-0241D7384543.jpeg

M853 Bridgestones

John C., Old Doug, 56wrench and 2 others like this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    John C., 56wrench and Spud_Monkey like this.
  8. Spud_Monkey

Decommissioned
    61785819-DB98-4F73-9698-60C158D57CB3.jpeg This is what you need for tires :p I’m 6’ tall BTW

9. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    No, Quite satisfied with no intelligence challenges to a old Road Truck with OLDER Road Driver that has NO Business challenging his OWN Stupid Side!!

10. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

I’m thinking DMiller may not want any tire howl on the pavement:D

11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Today was a slacker day
    Mounted tires to the two spare Pete ovals, swapped to the ovals positions on truck then stripped those, new valve stems and replaced tires swapped to where had large round hand holes, dropped those tires and stripped rims for buffing. Swung the new fronts, stripped those two rims for outer rears.
    Now have to find who will accept the pulled 6 as scrappers and for what fee.
    Done for today.
    8467FE7F-FFE6-4380-9E29-DB878A1F17B4.jpeg D1BA312E-6AC6-41A9-9921-F5307586F1D1.jpeg E697A5B0-A9FE-4CA3-9886-20F3DF128C9D.jpeg

12. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Farmer will want them. most always do.

56wrench, Labparamour and DMiller like this.
  13. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Local tire shop said may have a buyer, if not $22 each disposal fee.
    Easy choice.

14. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Farmers around here end up with some of our take offs-if they run 295/75 22.5.

DMiller likes this.
  15. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

My dump will take them by weight if I cut the sidewall from the tread. Sawzall with demo blade. But they want more than $22 per tire if I bring them whole.

DMiller likes this.
  16. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Whole tires are like vampires. Bury them as deep as you can and they always work their way back to the surface or they catch fire. Cut them through the middle or the tread or shred them and the bodies stay buried.

17. Spud_Monkey

Decommissioned
    Wife wanted to use my old ones as planters, I put my foot down on that one. Nope ain't happening, they are going to recycler not staying here.

oarwhat, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  18. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    At the top of Rye Grass I-90 between Ellensburg and Vantage, there is a gulley full of tires that
    Kittitas Co allowed-on county land plus a gulley full of human waste from King Co. Which made
    headlines in the local paper because of all the volunteer tomato and melon plants that popped
    up. I guess Seattleites like their maters and melons, but hate their used tires.

DMiller likes this.
  19. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    No sense of humor over here when it comes to old tires.

Truck Shop and DMiller like this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Cheap "old" Geezer
    Can burn a limited volume of them in brush piles, IIRC the limit is four auto or two truck or tractor tires, know that is not monitored as watched several dozen go into one brush pile. Been explained is a norm to burn as many as can pack in, just do not wish to be first caught.

John C. and Spud_Monkey like this.