1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Readying for the KW

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by DMiller, Oct 13, 2020.

1. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Not sure how much good that wire did but there was a bit of an art to put it in and make it look good and actually look like it could function as intended. Can't really recall taking something apart and finding a loose bolt with wire holding it in place.

As for the cotter keys I felt at least the ones that had the "bulge" part way down them that you had to tap into the hole was a good attempt to keep them from rattling and breaking.

Truck Shop, DMiller and John C. like this.
  2. Crummy

Crummy Senior Member

Yep, sure do
    KIMG0063.JPG

3. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

I dunno, but i sure like the idea of safety wire on airplane stuff when i fly:rolleyes:. I use various locking methods on any machine with vibration especially on sheetmetal or brackets. Not so keen on loctite in those applications because it takes too much time. Split type lockwashers are prone to cracking or breaking but i like those serrated(for lack of a better word) and slightly cupped flatwashers on some newer ag equipment. They may be a European or ISO thing but they seem to work

DMiller, kshansen, Nige and 2 others like this.
  4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Grade 8 flat washers with Stover nuts.

56wrench, Spud_Monkey, DB2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Flanged stover nuts, skip the washers :)

56wrench and DB2 like this.
  6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Depends on what it is.

John C., 56wrench and DMiller like this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I'm glad the mystery is solved and I don't blame you for wanting to ditch that jinxed block. It seems like you did well to get it out of there when you tick off all the crap that was wrong with that assembly, with clutch, pilot bearing, welded on starter, etc.
    i have those special pliers and different sizes of stainless safety wire, the oil drain plugs were safety wired, screen nut, retainer bolt. 1500 hours equals 15 oil changes over the years.

John C., oarwhat, Truck Shop and 2 others like this.
  8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Bought the 4W OS Bearings, Old Block is staying as a Second Thought. Why send this to someone else as a Problem child when can fix it right, and Now.

Bought block AFTER this is back running will be sold. Was a JIC purchase where was only decent one available and satisfied that for me.

9. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

Looking at your wrong new bearings I would send that old block to town and have it washed out.
    Bob

10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Going there with it soon. In frame work has never been notably 'Clean' ever as this engine sat open for six years, could not dislodge every piece of crud, oil flow did that for me.

56wrench, Truck Shop and John C. like this.
  11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    A photo of where I am at, shells will come out, will remove remnant of rear seal and set crank aside to haul block to wash it. Bellhousing, Starter and Front Structure housing too.

IMG_9820.JPG

12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Got to follow this bad boy back into the shop yesterday. Twehous of Jefferson City, headed to our quarry to recover last piece of Mobile Crusher plant headed to Thayer MO.

IMG_9818.JPG

Camshawn and doublewide like this.
  13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Too long Too many axles Too many flags and it's painted the wrong color Too.:p

DMiller likes this.
  14. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Engine will go back in as large sectional components, NOT taxing my Hoist and being alone doing this. Will mask off and paint as put major sections together so looks Purty when done this time. The engine may well have just been embarrassed to be seen filthy and threw up on me for that!!

15. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    Please tell me you will pull all the oil galley plugs and clean every oil port before assembling

Those mains sure must have rolled in easy with that much clearance. Could have used your dink to push them in I bet!

56wrench, oarwhat, kshansen and 2 others like this.
  16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Was a shock did not have to use a Tool as a screw or cotter pin in a Cross Drill hole to roll them in, should have been FIRST Clue. Plugs will ALL Come out, Air thru ALL Riflings and Visual inspect all can see in.

17. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Not criticizing, I know nothing about these engines. The diesels I have rebuilt were 40 HP & less.
    You didn't grind the crank. Was it within tolerance? You've likely said how many miles on the engine, I don't remember. Would you be happier truing the crank?

You mention a line bore. How do you need a line bore if you haven't broken a crank? Is this the original crank for this engine?

I went through a broken crank once, wasted a lot of time & money learning why. The subject of line bore came up. I live in the middle of nowhere, but had a race engine builder I had known before he was famous. He measured, & confirmed the block bores were straight, my failure was because of unscrupulous seller, spin a bearing, clean it up, replace with four standard bearings....sell it.

oarwhat and DMiller like this.
  18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Truck was purchased used prior to me, has 600,000+ecm miles no idea of any previous history or issues prior to coolant leak that busted the head then appears got neglected.

Cat as to what I have read did have a issue with broken cranks a few years on this series and this could be one. Block has been align bored, ended up with oversize shell bearings, indicates had a problem at some point. I did not catch that nor did the new parts supplier as I did give p/n of these and the shell coding. Internally the shells are STD crank, rods were STD. Today was T-day so not much done had a bit of other stuff to do.

new shells and rod bolts.
    0960DC70-D50C-47E6-90D2-A3541A91AE4E.jpeg

19. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    I HATE used machines. More problems from withheld information than original problem. Mostly, sellers cheat buyers. I'm not accusing JY, he too was a buyer.

DMiller likes this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    He had it a short time, likely all the woes this machine has/had were lead in to what he ended up with. All I have found to date were leftovers from long term. Corrosion was from sitting and knew what was getting into. Just let myself get to thinking was gonna be easy fix.

Still a ton of money to get it where I can actually trust it long term to do what I want it to.

59 North, Tags, John C. and 1 other person like this.