• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

Truck Shop

I just completely disassembled a early Big Cam VI I've had stored for several years-this week. It had a knock
supposedly-it turned out to be the accessory drive. But after getting into it I found out it was a Cummins Recon.
Cummins used a NT88 block which already is cut for lower press fit liner but they cut the counter bores for
.020 shims and 20/40 liners so that work is already done. Cam is good, followers are good cam matches cpl.
Injectors and pump match cpl, but heads do not. Someone was in it for who knows what reason and installed
early heads. Every part number, every part has to have a mic put to it because with Cummins especially there
are too many people that think it's Cummins anything will fit. And most have several mismatched parts after
30 to 40 plus years.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Measured rod journals of four exposed (hanging on hoist) measure at 3.819, standard, have not measured mains as waiting for access to a 4-5” mic. Spoke to a Cat tech
New cranks could come anywhere from tight under .003 clearance to .010 where the 4W-5700 main bearings were still considered as STD even as .005(.63mm) oversize. So IPD did not actually screw up. I did.

56wrench

Just wondering, doesn't .63mm equal .025" ? If the crank is undersize, you would think it would be stamped unless it came from the factory like that. Sometimes manufacturers salvage a new crank by grinding it and it may not be stamped. I've seen a Cat warranty engine with an undersize crank in it but it was stamped on the oil pan rail on the outside if i remember correctly, or maybe it was tagged. It was 35 years ago

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Are correct, I mis wrote. The fact is I sent the numbers to IPD Rep for purchase and he ordered STD. Still my fault. Nothing noted on Crank or Block I can find.

colson04

Sorry to hear that Dave. I'm glad you're still digging your way through this. I know how frustrating it can be to have so much time, energy and money wrapped up into something and then its not right when you get near the end. Then you have to expend more time and energy into finding your issue and correcting it.

Keep going Dave, I am learning a lot about all aspects of re-habbing an old truck from your posts and I appreciate you sharing your journey.

Truck Shop

Better mic each crank housing bore with main cap at 150 lb ft torque. Trust nothing.
Years ago-I found one crank pin .010 under on a factory built Ford 429. Engine had never been into.
I bought the engine from original owner.

Stamping cranks was born out of old machine standards years ago. No one does that anymore.
If I was assembling a Cat or Cummins I would stamp abbreviation LS-liner shim .020 or for Cummins
LPF-lower press fit-20/40 then followed by my initials.

sled dog

Better mic each crank housing bore with main cap at 150 lb ft torque. Trust nothing.
Years ago-I found one crank pin .010 under on a factory built Ford 429. Engine had never been into.
I bought the engine from original owner.

Stamping cranks was born out of old machine standards years ago. No one does that anymore.
If I was assembling a Cat or Cummins I would stamp abbreviation LS-liner shim .020 or for Cummins
LPF-lower press fit-20/40 then followed by my initials.
TS, long ago bought a new '75 chevy 3/4 ton. At 120K miles, shoved the the throw out bearing thru the pressure plate plowing snow one night. In those days, and that truck, was easier to pull the engine than the trans and transfer case to clutch it. Thought I would go ahead and roll bearings in while I had it out. Bought new, never opened up before, so just rolled in standard rods and mains. Reinstalled, lit it up, and had 0 oil press at idle, 5 lbs high idle. WTF? Dug the old shells out of the scrap. New, from the factory, .009 under mains, .0005 under rods. Owned a lot of trucks since then, but never another chevy. Bastids...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I remember a few engines where the whining started early about the time it took me to make sure all was right in the basement and not trusting the machine shop work. Slam together monkeys kept saying plastigauge was a waste of time and I was just running up the dollars. Found one engine with one crank journal different. Another with cuttings in the oil gallery and another with two different sizes on the big ends of a couple of rods. On something as expensive as any diesel engine and being so time consuming to do the job more than once, I don't trust any factory or any individual's work or words on history.