• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

56wrench

The sad thing about parts warranty is that most often they only cover the defective part(s) and not the labour.:(:mad: It would be nice if they would reimburse you for some labour cost due to the defective pump being beyond your control. If a shop had done the repair, they would have had to eat the labour cost until they submitted the warranty claim with the supplier.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most warranties now have limiting conditions such as "incidental costs such as labor, lost production, down time, freight and so on." There is also many times a specific clause that the warranty will not pay out anymore than the cost of the failed part. Independent shops usually try to market themselves as being more fair and less costly that a franchised dealer. In fact many will just stop a repair until some kind of guarantee of payment is made.

It has always been the policy of franchised dealers to charge the customer and try to make them pay repair costs up front. The customers then get to wait for their money until the factory pays the warranty claim. In my experience that can take up to six months for a situation to be resolved. A parts warranty is pretty easy in that you give them the defective part and they give you another part in exchange.

56wrench

Thats true but also thats one of the reasons their in-frame or total overhaul costs more. Also, they like to replace a lot of other stuff to be able to guarantee their repair. Most of the big brands do the same in my experience. I may not agree with them but i understand their point of view

JPV

I would assume they did, the first time it seized the #6 piston and #5 was on the way out with about 70,000 miles I believe. The only thing they found was one of the cooler nozzles wasn't aimed correctly but wasn't off too far. They changed just those two Pistons and liners. The second time about 6 months later it was #4 piston and everything else looked fine. They replaced all 6 injectors that were remans installed with the original overhaul, the thought was that they could be over fueling and had been part of a bad batch of injectors. I never did hear if they tested them or what came from that. That was 6 months ago or so, it's been fine since.

Bluox

The step in the disassembly book right after remove oil pump is remove piston coolers most people miss that part.
They don't go back in till the rods are back in.
It's a sure bet if the pistons are removed and put back in with the nozzles still in they will be bent.
And if the motor was dirty they may be plugged.
So the safe bet is to replace them.
Bob

Truck Shop

The step in the disassembly book right after remove oil pump is remove piston coolers most people miss that part.
They don't go back in till the rods are back in.
It's a sure bet if the pistons are removed and put back in with the nozzles still in they will be bent.
And if the motor was dirty they may be plugged.
So the safe bet is to replace them.
Bob

And how many have been broken through the years on a 855, and wonder why low psi.