• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The guy I dealt with for parts deals with a great deal of these, was as confused as I to the free flow below and nada on top, then it struck us both as to the 'Detritus' that was on the upper deck when I received the machine. Is a great possibility of debris in the galleries NOT on the main gallery. that run to the head, and that would include the Gauge line point.
IMG_8715.JPG

Rat Turds, sticks rats nest pieces, bugs, just dirt.

And this was AFTER I removed the mass of Nest fodder that was on it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
GetAttachmentThumbnail

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been all over it, in SIS as well
Gauge is a straight mechanical and tests within a few pounds of applied best can tell as reads 10# increments.
Not chancing cooking anything at this point, truck is not licensed yet or a production machine, can await digging on it.

colson04

Sorry to hear about your setback @DMiller . I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. I've been living vicariously through your thread as I would love my own KW someday, but I can't justify it yet.

I started my own project truck of sorts - 1997 F-350 chassis cab, 12 ft stake bed, 7.3L Powerstroke. Engine/trans are runners, but she needs a fair bit of tlc to make it right.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well to add insult to injury, had a MRI of Rt Shoulder yesterday, results in today, Partial Tear Bicep Long Header tendon and partial tear posterior Labral tendon, to go along with "Degenerating Joint conditions" or Uncle Arthr. Referral been sent to Ortho Surgeon Department and I am supposed to hear from them to schedule a consult. Labrum MOSTLY Intact, Rotator Cuff Intact, so I managed to damage something other!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've had the same issue on the left shoulder for some years now. The saw bones told me that as long as I can lift my arm above my head to just live with it. There is no real cure and the surgery and recovery is far worse than what I have now. He told me a minimum of six months of constant ache plus the physical therapy. I had to trust him as he was the only doctor who said don't do the surgery. The two quacks that I saw first said six weeks of physical therapy and then surgery and they wouldn't talk about recovery time.
Keep a clear head and make them justify their recommendations. There is no use making a down payment on their next luxury car and not have some kind of assurance of getting better.

suladas

I still think I would prefer surgery honestly. Today I was putting a stereo in my WS, so in the headliner. Just crimping together the wires I had to stop because my shoulder hurt too bad and I couldn't hold my hand up there any longer, and it's been aching for the rest of the day. No doc can figure out what it is, but once it's above shoulder height something is right messed up because below shoulder height it's not too bad.

So I feel your pain, I swear the shoulder has to be one of the worst things to be messed up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been dealing with it over weeks, closer to months already as tend to ignore most little aggravations, am at the point of discomfort yet adjusted to compensate so can manage a day of climbing in and out of cab, shifting, reaches for paperwork or controls.
Will see the ortho and listen but will likely pass the next couple months carrying this babying this until after first of 2022.

Decision as to becoming fully retired then. May be the omen hint I need to slow down.

Still working on ways to get better sleep. Never could sleep on back am a side sleeper, lay on L side have a hiatal hernia that causes Gerd even taking antacids before bed or SI joint flares so roll on stomach, back and SI joint go to aching more so roll to R side, sleep OK until pressure on shoulder wakes me back up, then back to L side. Vicious cycle 4-6 hours total in bed maybe 3 or four hours of any real sleep.

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Been dealing with it over weeks, closer to months already as tend to ignore most little aggravations, am at the point of discomfort yet adjusted to compensate so can manage a day of climbing in and out of cab, shifting, reaches for paperwork or controls.
Will see the ortho and listen but will likely pass the next couple months carrying this babying this until after first of 2022.

Decision as to becoming fully retired then. May be the omen hint I need to slow down.

Still working on ways to get better sleep. Never could sleep on back am a side sleeper, lay on L side have a hiatal hernia that causes Gerd even taking antacids before bed or SI joint flares so roll on stomach, back and SI joint go to aching more so roll to R side, sleep OK until pressure on shoulder wakes me back up, then back to L side. Vicious cycle 4-6 hours total in bed maybe 3 or four hours of any real sleep.
That is NOT good for your health! See a doctor about sleep. There's stuff they can do.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Reason most people as they get older cause most injuries is lack of stretching before exerting in what seems like menial tasks everyday. Take about a hour in the mornings and stretch out some and see how well things works out, we get less limber as time goes on but stretching will help. What abuse we do to our bodies in our younger years will catch up is what most don't see and we aren't just talking physical it's also in what we ate drank or smoked over the decades will come knocking.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dare say I believe found a answer to a great deal of questions. One, why rods 1&6 appeared starved, Two, why rocker rollers appeared starved, Three Low Oil Pressure on start with reman pump.

It all fits now. Dragged oil cooler bundle and oil filter head assemblies off the block, the Cooler Bundle was draining OLD Black oil from the rear port(Drain Side), the poppet and seat in the filter head are damaged from chattering. And a Special Treat, a Heat Tell Tale I was unaware of on the Filter base until chipping cooked on goo off.

IMG_9602.JPG IMG_9604.JPG IMG_9605.JPG

Will need to replace base and poppets, perhaps springs too, then the bundle.