• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

emmett518

Bored is not something I have ever experienced for long. Worst is when I've had to take someone to hospital emergency room. The waiting is unbearable!
I have so many dreams, projects, and chores that I have no time for all of the keep me busy stuff that everyone else in the world seems to embrace. Like pickleball, kayaking, bars, etc.

I truly love working on stuff around my place. I think it keeps me young!

emmett518

Machines sent to a watery grave full of fluids no less.
And today there’s an almost criminal investigation if you spill a quart of oil especially near a waterway.

Funny how things have changed.
I lived on a boat in Matanzas Pass, Florida, near Ft. Myers. Every day, the shrimp fleet would return home, pump out their bilges, and an oil slick flowed out to the Gulf. The Coast Guard base was right next door from my marina, and they never said or did anything. 2004 time frame.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Could laugh but know better, Mississippi Towboats generally at night pump bilges to the banks as are moored off, just beyond the levees where is absorbed in the sand and clay.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got that lined up where still resilient is where will be solder reconnected and heat shrinked.

Monkeywithawrench

I lived on a boat in Matanzas Pass, Florida, near Ft. Myers. Every day, the shrimp fleet would return home, pump out their bilges, and an oil slick flowed out to the Gulf. The Coast Guard base was right next door from my marina, and they never said or did anything. 2004 time frame.
My profile picture is from December 6th, 2020. One of my customers had a Mensa Club operator. He'd leave the the machine right on the bank, counterweight swung over the water, and a 3/4 yd bucket half filled with sand. This had a 50ft long reach stick. Initially the whole machine was under water. I got the 911 call right after it went down running. We dragged it up this far with the dozer. Chains started popping when it hit the bank. Used to work on an ocean going tug back in my 20's and early 30's. They sent me to commercial dive school. Still have the dive gear......put it to work that day!! :) The other operators and truck drivers were snapping pics and posting to their Fakebook and snatch chat accounts!! We didn't figure that out until the world started showing up to see the show. 'How'd you find out about this??' ..........'Ohhh, I saw so and so's Facebook post!!'. We had it out that night. DES (Department of Environmental Services) showed up the next day. All was good because it was out and NO rainbows.
Had another excavator go over the side from a barge that was dredging a harbor in NY or CT. I forget what the fines were going to be per day, but you definitely didn't want to paying those. My buddy called me wanting some ideas on how to get it out. I was up in Maine working on the house and skiing. They had a hydraulic power pack onboard a barge. I told him to run some lines down to the track motors and drive it up onto the beach.........problem solved!! Open mouth, insert foot!! "How soon can you be here??!! I'd like you here tonight!! I'll send a helicopter!!" I drove home, gathered my gear and drove down there. Rode the excavator out of the water in the cab so we didn't hit any rocks on the way out..........and made a pretty penny for a few days work. Need more of those jobs!! :D Had another customer, this spring; lose a loader into a harbor in Maine. Was sitting on the deck with the dog in the morning, sipping coffee and wondering what I wanted to do that day.......then the phone rang. Funny how the word gets out about the mechanic whose a diver!!
IMG_1587.jpg

David......Love what your doing with the truck!! Awesome that your taking the time to post everything!! Thank you for that!! It makes good reading.........and learning!! Keeps the synapses sharp!!LOL

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ordered $500 worth of piping to get past cab corners, will get that hanging to get it started where can get exhaust away from firewall. Later this week will work on tanks and remaining fuel line install. Need to get down to JY's deliver the old Chevy and pick up a few odds and ends for work here.

Worked with the divers at the Nuke, same guys dove the Lake Ozark dam and the coal burner cooling water intakes as the Nuke. Hard work heat of summer in a mud wallow as the Missouri River, harder still when needed to set/seal sand gates and entry closure doors at the intake in January in near freezing water. Tough lot. Was a guy we bought the trailer from at the Salem MO farm, ran dive service on Mississippi river, got to watch him work clearing the River Intakes to STL water supply at Chain of Rocks, guy was NUTS!!! Small safety bottle where attached to a feed line and safety ropes, worked a fire hose inside the stopped up pipes to break a sand block explained to crew when line went tight pull him back as sand plug was out!!! Like dragging a 200 pound Channel Cat back out of a nest hole was a comment I Heard! The 'Castles' are still on the river at Chain of Rocks where at one time were manned for valve operations.

old-chain-of-rocks-bridge-water-intake-towers-in-st-louis-missouri-AMG95T.jpg

Monkeywithawrench

About 10-12 years ago my swimming pool got a leak. Fought with it for about a month replacing this gasket, that gasket, another fitting. Didn't really attack it in an orderly manner. At the time, I was working in Boston on the Big Dig as an Engineer/ Surveyor ( I R college-mehcated). All my dive gear had been put away never to see the light of day again. My wife had my helmet in the corner of the claw foot bath tub as a bathroom ornament. Finally had enough, pulled the helmet out of the bathroom, grabbed a tank out of barn (hoping there was still enough O2 in there and it hadn't been all depleted from rust). First dip under the water the helmet started flooding out. The drain valve had disintegrated from ozone and UV. Turned the defog air on and made the helmet a positive pressure helmet. That kept the water out as long as I didn't go upside down. Found a tear in the liner and went down to the pool store (for the umpteenth time) to find out how to patch the tear in the liner underwater. They were very familiar with my plight at this point. They asked how I found my leak. As I was mentioning that I put the dive gear on and dove the pool, I realized I was in trouble when their eyes went the size of dish plates. "Do you know what your doing??" I figured they meant diving. "Well..........I haven't killed myself yet!!" Since then, and thousands of dollars worth of leak detection and some pipe cameras.......a hobby business was born, that has now turned into a full time problem during the summer months. Hhhhmmm, fix equipment or get paid to swim in a pool?? Today is supposed to be 90F........I'll go swimming!!! LOL Of course it depends on if a customer is down. If its just routine 'change-ahh dah oil, check dah light bulbs' I'll go swimming.
Know what's really hard about working underwater?? NO GRAVITY!!LOL Just think about how much fun turning that torque wrench would be if you weren't pressed to that concrete floor with you weight being pulled by gravity!! And a diver is just someone who works underwater.........diver=underwater laborer, underwater welder, underwater mechanic, etc. I'll let the young bucks play with fire hose underwater. Unless, of course; their not getting it done. Here, let the old man show you how its done!! :)

P6291644.JPG
Worked on a swimming pool at a country club 2 1/2hrs away a few weeks ago. We loaded up the Freightliner with just about everything we could think of, except the surface supplied gear. We just used SCUBA the first day. Burned through 4 bottles (thats all we brought!!) the first day. Job was a little more complicated than we thought.........way more complicated. 2nd trip up was all surface supplied with comms between 2 divers and surface.LOL Freightliner with crane, welder, etc showing up with all that crap to fix your pool!! :) My hobby business!
BEN IN A BANDMASK.JPG

I showed my wife pictures of your 'camper hauler' and the other pics of camper haulers that have been posted. I told her I'm gonna start looking for a project tractor to tow the camper and we could put a mini cooper on the back of the tractor. She said I needed to get rid of some trucks out back first!! (Peterbilt w/ Maintainer body, Freighliner with summit body, and a 2000 International w/ utility body). She said the tractor needs to have a bathroom in it!!

How much do you think you have into it at this point?? Just curious...
The tranny cooler you mounted behind the steps.....does that have fans on it?? Just curious about air flow with it mounted behind the steps. Maybe a thermostat to turn the fans on and off?? (Synapses clicking and firing)

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
About 10-12 years ago my swimming pool got a leak. Fought with it for about a month replacing this gasket, that gasket, another fitting. Didn't really attack it in an orderly manner. At the time, I was working in Boston on the Big Dig as an Engineer/ Surveyor ( I R college-mehcated). All my dive gear had been put away never to see the light of day again. My wife had my helmet in the corner of the claw foot bath tub as a bathroom ornament. Finally had enough, pulled the helmet out of the bathroom, grabbed a tank out of barn (hoping there was still enough O2 in there and it hadn't been all depleted from rust). First dip under the water the helmet started flooding out. The drain valve had disintegrated from ozone and UV. Turned the defog air on and made the helmet a positive pressure helmet. That kept the water out as long as I didn't go upside down. Found a tear in the liner and went down to the pool store (for the umpteenth time) to find out how to patch the tear in the liner underwater. They were very familiar with my plight at this point. They asked how I found my leak. As I was mentioning that I put the dive gear on and dove the pool, I realized I was in trouble when their eyes went the size of dish plates. "Do you know what your doing??" I figured they meant diving. "Well..........I haven't killed myself yet!!" Since then, and thousands of dollars worth of leak detection and some pipe cameras.......a hobby business was born, that has now turned into a full time problem during the summer months. Hhhhmmm, fix equipment or get paid to swim in a pool?? Today is supposed to be 90F........I'll go swimming!!! LOL Of course it depends on if a customer is down. If its just routine 'change-ahh dah oil, check dah light bulbs' I'll go swimming.
Know what's really hard about working underwater?? NO GRAVITY!!LOL Just think about how much fun turning that torque wrench would be if you weren't pressed to that concrete floor with you weight being pulled by gravity!! And a diver is just someone who works underwater.........diver=underwater laborer, underwater welder, underwater mechanic, etc. I'll let the young bucks play with fire hose underwater. Unless, of course; their not getting it done. Here, let the old man show you how its done!! :)

View attachment 242991
Worked on a swimming pool at a country club 2 1/2hrs away a few weeks ago. We loaded up the Freightliner with just about everything we could think of, except the surface supplied gear. We just used SCUBA the first day. Burned through 4 bottles (thats all we brought!!) the first day. Job was a little more complicated than we thought.........way more complicated. 2nd trip up was all surface supplied with comms between 2 divers and surface.LOL Freightliner with crane, welder, etc showing up with all that crap to fix your pool!! :) My hobby business!
View attachment 242992

I showed my wife pictures of your 'camper hauler' and the other pics of camper haulers that have been posted. I told her I'm gonna start looking for a project tractor to tow the camper and we could put a mini cooper on the back of the tractor. She said I needed to get rid of some trucks out back first!! (Peterbilt w/ Maintainer body, Freighliner with summit body, and a 2000 International w/ utility body). She said the tractor needs to have a bathroom in it!!

How much do you think you have into it at this point?? Just curious...
The tranny cooler you mounted behind the steps.....does that have fans on it?? Just curious about air flow with it mounted behind the steps. Maybe a thermostat to turn the fans on and off?? (Synapses clicking and firing)
We are the electricians, often we work with a pool guy who's phobic of water. I'm getting old, convinced very cold water will stop my heart. Seth gets the honor too often of diving. It's never deep, 5' is unusual, but most often freshly drawn from a springtime brook. Friday it was COLD & shocked with some horrid cocktail of chemicals. He volunteered to go in.

Monkeywithawrench

i'd BET.......with todays market for vehicles being what it is.......you 'could' sell it for north of $100k when your done. Not that you'd do that or that's why your doing it. :eek::eek::cool::cool:o_O I wish you and I were closer to each other. I'd come help!!

Monkeywithawrench

We are the electricians, often we work with a pool guy who's phobic of water. I'm getting old, convinced very cold water will stop my heart. Seth gets the honor too often of diving. It's never deep, 5' is unusual, but most often freshly drawn from a springtime brook. Friday it was COLD & shocked with some horrid cocktail of chemicals. He volunteered to go in.
Last year I got called to a pool that had just been filled with 'tanker' water. It was SMOKING HOT that day. High 90's. I walked up to check out the pool and the 'Tanker' driver said 'I hope you brought your dry suit!!' I asked if he was kidding........he said the water came out of the well at 36F. I stuck my foot in the water........it HURT it was that cold. I always have my drysuit. Lots of stories of cold water and ice. Not my favorite.......but its critical to have the correct gear. The orange suit I have on with the excavator I bought a few years after starting the pools. My old suit was worn out and Viking drysuits said it couldn't be repaired any more. Ended up buying a Whites drysuit HAZMAT suit. That was $3k. My wife just about had kittens when i finally told her how much 'the suit to go in swimming pools' cost.........ya know, for the hobby business!!LOL My response was probably brusque, but I asked her who is the one going in the water?? Me or you?? Who is the one who has been diving since they were 13?? No substitute for being comfortable. Working on the tugs and barges, sometimes sent pieces back up to be modified. They'd call down and ask if I was coming out while they modded it...........No thanks!! I'll just stay here and nap. I'd either press myself under or barge or settle to the bottom (if it was shallow enough) and snuggle in.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can remember when guy I worked with on Tows on Alton Pool had his sons dive salvage work. I ended up rebuilding a 2/71 aux engine and a 4/53 generator that lay on the bottom for over a month on a overturned barge. They also retrieved a old American dragline but it was too far gone before entered the water so was scrapped. Boys dove winter or summer, said summer was worst as water was warm as bath water and tended to make them sweat profusely in dry suits. One offered to let me try a dry suit and hard helmet, I declined as had no need to feel around where I could not see to work.

Monkeywithawrench

Diving in a drysuit in the summer is the worst feeling sometimes!! LOL You come out of the water, open the suit up, your shirt is soaked, rivulets of water pouring down the suit and your trying to figure out if the suit has a leak you don't know about or if its really just sweat!!
The pic of me in the water in front of the yellow submersible excavator.......I couldn't see an inch in front of my face. The lights started blinking morse code and I realized I needed to turn off the master switch. I was feeling around inside the doors.........I was pretty sure it lived on the cab side of the machine. Feeling around with numb fingers wasn't fun. Searched both sides of the machine before I remembered I needed to open the door, with hidden latch, just behind the operators cab.
This customer had dragline operators digging the sand for him. One guy was 80 and was looking to sell his Lima dragline. So you saw the result of one of the mensa club operators......I had a really hard time explaining that running a dragline required a touch and eye and a whole bunch of talent.....and he DIDN'T HAVE THAT WITH HIS GUYS!! Plus trying to find parts for an old crane that was from the 50's. My family owned a pile driving business. I grew up around crawler cranes. My brother and I scrubbed out boiler tubes, painted booms and cabs, and greased for summer vacations in grade school and high school. We were very lucky to have those experiences and education. My grandfather taught me how to run a clam shell bucket when I was 14 or 16. I was also told that I was going to college for engineering so I could run the company......so I'm a civil engineer who went back to his roots of turning wrenches. In my early 20's I ended getting flown to Gitmo Cuba to run a clam shell crane on a bulk carrier to unload sand, stone, and cement. The navy had brand new International 10 wheelers, all wheel drive, with mitsibushi engines. They had CRUSHED about a dozen of those trucks. The original plan had been to unload the material onto the pier. Someone did the calcs after the ship arrived.........pier wouldn't handle it. Just unload into the trucks!! I had 4 hours notice to pack my bags and get a plane. Couldn't understand why or how I got grabbed until I landed in Gitmo. I realize now how very, very fortunate I am to have all of these life experiences and how patient and saintly my grandfather, uncles, and father must have been!!LOL

We keep getting off topic from your truck!! :) Is it done yet??!!LOL