• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

Truck Shop

Even mic'ing doesn't tell you anything the ONLY way to know is to cut it open, Fluid will look like tar.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Rubber internals disintegrated into the fluid, can see that.

Will have to see if only available new or if have a reman/exchange program.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Checked with Cat here first
Nada nothing in reman and only New was in Utah
$900+
Contacted Vibratech, nothing near me and close to $200 shipping to get one to my door
JY sent a text with company in PA, Pittsburg
Power so called
In stock $620 delivered with spacer if needed
Ordered and already shipped.

will cut this one open when replace

Truck Shop

Very good-I'm not surprised the damper was Vibratech. Vibratech bought out/took over that business from the original company{can't remember name}
that built most all viscous dampers. French name IIRC.

Fan hub looks like Kysor.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to note, working even in my little shop where was closed up and a lot cooler than outside the humidity was such my clothes were soaked, hair was dripping, was sweating so bad had to look as a drowned rat!!

BTW also installed four 5/16-18 helicoils in valve cover bolt holes, sucked that I missed those as installed the intermediate cover but are in place.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yesterday notified processor was back, still was working up ticket. Was WAY less than estimate at $400 and change, said Peoria was discounting many of the old fee charges and did not charge to copy program requested out of the data bank, strictly labor charges. Picked up tonight.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
NOT Quite. Still working fuel tanks, then need to arrange the air intake piping and get enough exhaust to clear from under cab corners. Have a shield to make and install for the under floor nylon air lines that had been patched long ago due to that shield being missing got cooked and still need to be replaced/lengthened. Closer but not quite there. BTW picked up the ECM last night just before the shop in CoMO closed, took wife to dinner at the local Cracker Barrel.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Glad it is changed as well, do NOT need a broken crank.
Smoking hot and humid enough to take wrinkles out of clothes today so set to the engine harness changes.
Removed IVA equipment connections, moved associated pins for Injector feeds and returns to 6NZ points which happened to be where CAT set up the IVA system points. then set to figuring out repair for Engine Coolant Sensor wiring. UGLY!! Harness from split for Crankshaft sensor had all fused together, hard as glass for around three feet. Peeled the woven sheath back to loose resilient wire and managed to free Engine Temp leads, will need to replace around two feet of those. The woven sheath was already removed on that hardened section for the photo. Bought two used connectors for the ECM, scavenged out pin blanks for the removed not to be reinstalled pins.

IMG_9468.JPG IMG_9469.JPG IMG_9470.JPG IMG_9471.JPG .