• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

Mother Deuce

I thought it went pretty good. Dragging brakes, while a pita, were probably why there isn’t also a back door in the shop! Ride home went great. I bet that little GMC weighs half of what that KW did.
Did you build that 550 JY? If you wouldn't mind delivering that to New Hampshire... I am curious though, is that bed a one JY custom or available somewhere commercially?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The 550 is a friends truck. He ordered it and had the bed put on and the other little things done. It’s a store bought bed made by CM. I’ll scrounge up a link. I had a similar bed on my 4500 dodge. It may come live at my place next year when he upgrades :)

Old Doug

Now the fun realy begins. I think i bought the newest nicest lowest milage trucks i ever have owned but to get it in good usable shape its takeing 100s of hours. It didnt have a air horn i worked on that last night so far i have 2 hours in and it needs a brace and the pull cable. For the most part i enjoy working on it. Good luck on your prodject.

Mother Deuce

The 550 is a friends truck. He ordered it and had the bed put on and the other little things done. It’s a store bought bed made by CM. I’ll scrounge up a link. I had a similar bed on my 4500 dodge. It may come live at my place next year when he upgrades :)
That looks like a really capable ride. I may have to try and clone that!

suladas

It does a good job. With the KW on I felt a little short on power but never felt overloaded in regard to handling or braking. He ordered that 550, it’s a loaded lariat which is unusual for the bigger trucks.

Don't tell the people here that :eek: That should have been on a minimum 600hp tandem and 60 ton lowboy.

Light on power because it's a Ford! I miss my 2015 Ram 5500 Laramie such a nice truck that can really haul, doesn't hurt that the dealer practically gave it to me.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
19000lbs, full dress and this one is nowhere hear that, about half naked!! probably close to 17000 as it sits. Tandem Duals goose and F550 more than enough for that.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Don't tell the people here that :eek: That should have been on a minimum 600hp tandem and 60 ton lowboy.

Light on power because it's a Ford! I miss my 2015 Ram 5500 Laramie such a nice truck that can really haul, doesn't hurt that the dealer practically gave it to me.
70% of dealers practically give highly sought after vehicles to people like you. I guess that's why they are so expensive to people like me.

Old Doug

19000lbs, full dress and this one is nowhere hear that, about half naked!! probably close to 17000 as it sits. Tandem Duals goose and F550 more than enough for that.
I hauled that much in scrap before with my 3/4 GMC and it was ok but i hauled a GMC Brigadier and it was enough i couldnt break the speed limit going down hill.

kenworth

Occupation
Jack of a Few Trades, Master of None
Thought I would post some information on my truck that I have used for recreational purposes for the last 12 years since it looks like you are building a truck to do the same.
My current truck is a 1998 KW W900L Aero Cab, 3406E 600HP, 18 Speed, 364,000 Original Miles that I purchased from the original owner.
I built the flatbed on the back the Kenworth for my 1st truck that I did this with which was a 1981 Peterbilt 359 Short Hood with a KTA 600 and a Double Overdrive 13 speed that I used for recreational purposes for 14 years.
LRIQ0519.JPG IMG_1577.JPG Air Ride Hitch Hooked Up.JPG
I would suggest that you get a air ride hitch for what ever type of RV trailer bumper pull or 5th wheel that you decide to pull because even though these trucks have air ride suspension they will break your trailer. Don't ask me how I know.
Keep us posted on the progress of your project.