• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Re-Plug all connections and get a switch

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
After spending ? hours and several days part time trying different things. I call a service guy in I have a ethernet that runs between 3 offices and a 2 wireless base stations.
The problem was I was not getting internet at 2 of the offices sometimes. All that was fixed the problem was we think a wall jack that had to re-pluged. So before you call the tech just re plug all connections.
I did learn that I should change get rid of my hub and get a switch. The difference is the switch is faster with "SMART" technology. The hub is slower.

Wolfcsm

The first rule of troubleshooting is to CHECK THE PHYSICAL - connections, power etc. Well more than 75% of all problems are solved there.

HUB - shares the bandwidth between its ports. Dumb device

SWITCH - all ports receive the same (or the provisioned) bandwidth. Smart device

I would get rid of any hubs and replace them with switches as soon as I could. You will certainly notice a difference with a switch.

Hal

kanewolf

The other major difference between a hub and switch is that a switch allows full duplex (simultaneous send and receive) operation. Your network card does not have to wait to send data because it is receiving data. Switches will also allow multiple network speeds (1000-TX, 100-TX, 10-TX) to coexist. There are a few hubs which are multi-speed but much more common on switches.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I got the 3G wireless router $99.00. Just a very little difference in speed. But after I checked the air cards they only have 5 gb of service per month. My friend had said that he had unlimited service, no they have all changed 5 gb, some of the users have got $6-8 thousand dollar usage bills for going over the band width. I use 4.5 gb of down load band width so I have to continue with Wildblue. Speed 529 kbs download 100 kbs upload. Hope the rural internet users will have some kind of faster cheep service down the road. I know there is other rural internet users that would like to use a air card for faster service but we need reasonable rates to.
Our son left for Afganistian on Monday Air Force Flight Surgeon.