• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RC30 not charging

Chrismhartley

New here so hope I'm not bringing up an old problem I looked but didn't see anything so here it is like before it started with the controls locking out while the machine was running which we determined was low voltage and was fixed with a new battery so after that was down I realized that the alt wasn't charging so went ahead and replaced that well even with a new battery and new alt still not getting 14 volts anywhere not at the battery or the back of the alt I did notice there an alt diode in the fuse box this is were my knowledge ends not sure if that could go bad or be in backwards
Thanks for reading

DIYDAVE

No need to post duplicate threads, the ASV RC-30 thread should go here. I have one, never had any major problems with it. If you are not getting the voltage, I would start with the manual, I know you can get a manual downloadable, Google search perkins 403-D 15. I would have a starter/generator shop check the charging system, were I a novice. Long and short of it is, either diodes, wiring or alternator. I had an alternator on mine, that the brushes were gummed up with dirt so bad, that the springs wouldn't push them onto the armature...

DIYDAVE

I just looked, manual only shows r&r, google 10SI alternator, for info on testing alt...

74inchShovel

When you turn the key is battery voltage applied to the field terminal of alt? Is battery voltage present at the larger wire? I have three of these in service and replace at least one a year. Bad design. At some point I will retrofit common auto alt.

Chrismhartley

Ended up running a new wire from the fuse box to the alt and haven't had any issues since thanks for the help