• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rc 30

gmc2500

i have been thinking about buying a RC 30 wondering what you guys think of these skidsteers. i have rented one a couple times for a job and really like it. i was also thinking of the RC 50 to this seem like a really good machine. right now i am looking at getting the RC 30. i do excavating and landscaping.

Smalley360

I just bought my RC-30 a few weeks ago. Love it, great for getting in where regular sized skid steers/track loaders cant go.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I really don't think you will find anything better in that size. It is so much more useable than the likes of Boxer, Dingo etc..its chalk and cheese really if that is the size you are after. We have dem oed the 30 and rented a 50 once. The 50 could be a better choice as an allrounder for your business, especially since it can lift more than the 30. My ideal setup would be RC30 and SR80 but I have to make do with an allrounder and, although a lot of jobs we do are tight, restricted access is not really a requirement.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
May as well just add to this thread.

Job we did last week required us to go down a steep sandy hill (vacant lot)and along the bottom through a couple of backyards to get some blocks into an existing wall that was built under spec. The task involved getting 10 tonnes of stone into the site as well as 40 cubic metres of brickies sand. The area we had to work in was barely big enough to operate the 3 tonne Yanmar mini.

The haul track we had on the vacant lot was about 35 degrees pretty steep. The rest of the vacant lot was pushed into three un-retained terraces. The fall from the terraces was about 45 to 50 degrees down to the next terrace.

I got plenty of water onto the haul track but going up the hill empty with forks only on the 248B was getting difficult so I graded it up a couple of times with the mini ex. Eventually the 248B was stopped in its tracks with all wheelspin and not traction. The mini had to haul it up the hill a number of times. The worst part was I had about 50 m3 of dirt to haul out and nowhere to stock pile down the bottom and the skid couldn't make it up the hill with a full bucket.

The ASV dealer had been on my case about a demo a number of times so I called them up and they arrived promptly with an RC 30 and an RC50. On that site it was impressive...to put it midly. One of my guys got the 50 sideways on the steepest part and I was sure it was going to roll....the demo guy didn't even blink an eye. I hauled dirt up and down..put a tonne of blocks on the 50 (beyond ROC) and went up and down the hill like steam.

Once I got used to the Posi-Power function I could push dirt "Up" the hill that my wheeled machine could even get up let alone push dirt up.

Performance was brilliant. Cabs where basic and I wouldn't like to have my 6'1" frame in the RC 30 for too long. Engine access is excellent for a skid (track) loader but I'd like to see ASV with the hydraulic fan and heavy biscuit radiator that the pussy has. The ASV radiator likes like it came out of a Toyota car...Can anybody who owns one comment?.

I like the machines and after christmas I'm going to have a long hard think about the type of work I'm doing at the moment. I could definetly make better use of the ASV than the skid but that doesn't mean I'm going to make more money.

John Banks

Squizzy: I had an ASV MD2810 and that machine would go anywhere and do anything. I never beat on the machine, but did work it well. I had a hammer on it many times, forks, buckets, etc. I was surprised the places it would work whereas a regular ss would have been on it's back or side. I did a lot of research on them before I got it. A good friend of mine has the RC-50, actually he was the one who got me looking at them originally. I thought about the cost as well, but once you're working the machine, your rate of productivity will likely increase more than enough to offset the cost, thus justifying it. :yup

stuvecorp

We have the Polaris version (ASL 300) of the ASV and you couldn't pry it away from us. For some reason Polaris wanted to sell a version of the RC 30, the bonus part was they sold them new for around $14,000 (and had really good financing too). I don't know why they sold them at that price when the ASV's were close to $20,000. We rented it for a month to try it out because at first I thought it was a joke but after using it for a month we wouldn't give it up. We haven't had much trouble with it other than the birdcage/sprocket thing will brake the bolts in it (check your bolt torque). We have been very happy with it but it isn't what I would call 'contractor' grade.

74inchShovel

My experience after 600 hours has been that the tracks might be the best reason to buy one-mine are at 80%, they should go an easy 2000hrs, if I dont start tearing lugs. It gets run hard, real hard sometimes.

What I dont like is the fit and finish-nowhere near Takeuchi, Bobcat et al. Equally bothersome is that none of the cylinders have replaceable hardened steel bushings (RC 30, and some RC 50's)-depite frequent greasing, bucket cylinder eyes are gone.:mad: But I would but this same machine again, as ASV has this market nich all to themselves for now. I would love to see a TL 100, ot a T 100- the decision might not be so easy then.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Cat still has a better machine than ASV, even though the ASV will run (almost) circles around the Cat.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums 74inchShovel! :drinkup

pete40

May as well just add to this thread.

Job we did last week required us to go down a steep sandy hill (vacant lot)and along the bottom through a couple of backyards to get some blocks into an existing wall that was built under spec. The task involved getting 10 tonnes of stone into the site as well as 40 cubic metres of brickies sand. The area we had to work in was barely big enough to operate the 3 tonne Yanmar mini.

The haul track we had on the vacant lot was about 35 degrees pretty steep. The rest of the vacant lot was pushed into three un-retained terraces. The fall from the terraces was about 45 to 50 degrees down to the next terrace.

I got plenty of water onto the haul track but going up the hill empty with forks only on the 248B was getting difficult so I graded it up a couple of times with the mini ex. Eventually the 248B was stopped in its tracks with all wheelspin and not traction. The mini had to haul it up the hill a number of times. The worst part was I had about 50 m3 of dirt to haul out and nowhere to stock pile down the bottom and the skid couldn't make it up the hill with a full bucket.

The ASV dealer had been on my case about a demo a number of times so I called them up and they arrived promptly with an RC 30 and an RC50. On that site it was impressive...to put it midly. One of my guys got the 50 sideways on the steepest part and I was sure it was going to roll....the demo guy didn't even blink an eye. I hauled dirt up and down..put a tonne of blocks on the 50 (beyond ROC) and went up and down the hill like steam.

Once I got used to the Posi-Power function I could push dirt "Up" the hill that my wheeled machine could even get up let alone push dirt up.

Performance was brilliant. Cabs where basic and I wouldn't like to have my 6'1" frame in the RC 30 for too long. Engine access is excellent for a skid (track) loader but I'd like to see ASV with the hydraulic fan and heavy biscuit radiator that the pussy has. The ASV radiator likes like it came out of a Toyota car...Can anybody who owns one comment?.

I like the machines and after christmas I'm going to have a long hard think about the type of work I'm doing at the moment. I could definetly make better use of the ASV than the skid but that doesn't mean I'm going to make more money.

Interested in your experience on steep slopes. i am thinking of buying a compact track loader to work in forested country on very steep slopes and was wondering how these machines handle such conditions.

Any experience or advice appreciated.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
G,Day Pete,

I have gone with a smaller machine on wheels (226BII) but I still bring in a guy with an RC30 on occaision. I don't know the details of your conditions nor do I have the owner operator experience with CTL/MTL. Here is my take on things:

Sometime back an well respected operator (Hardscape/Landscape in US) of Cat tracked machines put some numbers together and came up with an additional operating cost of $5-$7/hour over a wheeled machine. Couple that with much higher purchase costs and and questionable re-sale value.

Now if I was fixed price contracting to commercial builders the machine which does it fastest makes you the most money...no question. Additionally any tracked machine will be more productive than wheels when it is soft underfoot.

When it come to hourly hire, working for the Jones etc they don't seem "more productive, lower ground pressure" etc in order to justify charging $10/hour more. All they see is ther hourly rate. A Bobcat is a Bobcat!.

That said, many builders are cottoning on to the improved performance of a CTL/MTL over a wheeled machine. There are many restricted access and difficult situation jobs that, barring manual labour, can only be done with something like the RC30. I personally love the concept but you have to have the niche or the right market to make it pay.

At present I am bidding a job;

50 metres of 1m high stonewall, 1/2 with steel fence atop and half with piers and timber infill.
4 x 1200 x 1200 concrete soaks and plumbing to new house
12m x 6m poured limestone driveway
Stone letter box and driveway piers
About 100m3 to shift around on site and probably 40m3 to go away.
Compaction, backfilling, 80m2 of verge to tidy up, reticulation and topsoil to install (25m3).

Now I'll go with the 226 and the 3 tonne mini-ex.

An RC 30 would be wonderful on that job for quality of finishing off around the house but...But!: I can't carry pallets of stone like the 226 can, it can't load out 10m3 into a 6 wheeler in 14 minutes and it can't shift the dirt anywhere near as fast. Would it be good - Yes, will it make me any money....in this situation NO!.

You need to charge more
You need to look after it
You need to have the market niche

I can only get 1 1/2 of the above.

Thats what my research leads me to....at this stage...maybe next week I'll regret it:Banghead

Smalley360

I love my RC-30. Would not give it up. It runs like a champ. The only problem with it is that the tipping capasity is low. It needs more tail weight. Especially when I put on my backhoe attachment and drive down grade it seems to tip toe. I am in the process of making a weight box that slides into the towing receiver so I can add another 250-300 lbs. I have a 16 x 6 trailer that I use to transport my machine and attachments. It holds the machine with the 4:1, the backhoe, the brush cutter, forklift forks and auger attachment. I love the size of the machine getting into tight areas where other people would have to tear down fences to ge a larger machine in. I drive right through most gates or tight areas around houses.

Smalley360

My RC-30 on my 5x10 Dump trailer when it was new. I have to split the bucket to get the weight distribution correct. If you notice the Xterra attached to the trailer. I used this about 4 times just before I purchased my diesel Dodge 2500. It was right at its max towing capassity but did the job. :eek:

Attachments

• my equipment3.jpg
    my equipment3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 702

Smalley360

The RC-30 when I got the new Backhoe attachment.

Attachments

• Backhoe.jpg
    Backhoe.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 904

Smalley360

The 30 is also a great cherry picker. I didn't have an engine hoist so the RC-30 did the job pulling my 235 engine out of my 1948 1.5 ton dually.

Attachments

• Engine hoist.jpg
    Engine hoist.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 788

Smalley360

Before I purchased my 16 foot trailer. Notice the machine fits but the backhoe bucket has to sit outside the 5x10 trailer.

Attachments

• Truck and 30.jpg
    Truck and 30.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,067