• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

$ Rate/Mile for Heavy Equipment Hauling

clansing1

I am looking at purchasing a 50-ton RGN trailer for hauling my own equipment. I have a trucking company that we do work for and they do work for us. I am considering leasing the trailer to them occasionally for hauling heavy equipment. What would the going $/mile rate be just for the trailer? Do you have a base rate and then so much a ton? I was thinking around $0.50/mile.

Thanks in advance.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Are your loads local or out of state or? $0.50 a mile seems really low to me...

clansing1

The rate would be per loaded mile and would probably vary from 150 miles to 1000 miles.

Chaz Murray

That would only equal 27.50 per hour with the 55mph speed limit assuming you could average 55 mph all the time! I agree .50 per mile seems way low.

**Edit...sorry had to read the first post again...guess I missed the part that you wanted to rent the trailer out..then in that case it might be a little on the high side. On trailers we rent out we have a flat fee for daily, weekly and monthly.

Last edited:

JBlackwell

You have to do a flat rate, no per mile stuff. Too many dishonest people in the world. I would do minimum of $850 per month up to $1,250 depending on who it is, etc., etc.

TERM101

I would say anything under 250 miles the trailer needs to be make $40-$50 an hour. My trailer would roll for nothing less. Anything over 250 I would try and work out flat rate deals per job.

Last edited:

imjustdave

I would say flat fee, maybe monthly and or weekly. Remember if they are using it a lot you may end up with brake and tire replacments a lot more often then your thinking. And this brings up a point that you may have to make provision in a rental agrement for when you or they are resonsiable for such maintanance.