• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ratcheting or Snap Binders?

JaredV

Anybody have any opinions on doing this on the highway? I do it all the time moving stuff through the woods but cross chain on public roads. Sure is quick and easy.

KIMG3482.JPG

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
I know several places will not let you use snap binders, Exxon will not even let you in the facility if you have a load with snap binders holding it down, most insurance companies dont allow them as well

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Anybody have any opinions on doing this on the highway? I do it all the time moving stuff through the woods but cross chain on public roads. Sure is quick and easy.

View attachment 293956
Dependent of machine size and weight, can define if requires two each side each end and if needs chain secured cross machine each end. Will still require securement of boom arm or blade of machine as a current requirement.

JaredV

Right, I understand that. I'm just wondering if the DOT would care if they saw ratchet binders being used this way as long as there are enough.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Right, I understand that. I'm just wondering if the DOT would care if they saw ratchet binders being used this way as long as there are enough.
I've hauled a lot of tracked equipment including my own as you've shown and not had problems. Combinations of chains, and direct binding also.

Just ensure you have enough in quantity, or go overkill on the number of binders as that's what they seem to look for mostly.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ask the DOT boys, it is they that argue that moot point.
Regardless if hang a chain to a
Boomer across a machine it is still essentially pulling ‘Out’ some trailers have no to center option for chaining just the side rail where either boomer or chain and boomer to that outer edge cross machine or just off a track is still the same.

Last edited: