1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ratcheting or Snap Binders?

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by BKrois, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    These are the binders I have which were "gifted" to me from a dear departed friend. I have a dozen:

https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Rat...2&sprefix=ratchet+chain+binder,aps,132&sr=8-5

These are the less expensive type of ratchet binder commonly available:

https://www.amazon.com/EI004-Ratche...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

These are the much less expensive "snap", or "Over Center" binders which are still very commonly used. The price point is a very large draw citing the profit margin that exists, (industry wide) in the trucking business:

https://www.amazon.com/Mytee-Produc...6449&sprefix=chain+snap+binder,aps,120&sr=8-3

Flat Thunder Channel and DMiller like this.
  2. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I have 3 or 4 of them in the tongue of the 20 ton. I can't remember when i used them last, but it is one of those things I won't toss.

RollOver Pete and DMiller like this.
  3. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Completely agree. (No offense DMiller)

DMiller likes this.
  4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    None taken.

5. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Senior Member

I really like the Peerless ratcheting load binders. I bought 4 after learning about them on the forum. No turning back now! They are amazingly easy to use and user friendly to boot. Plan to add an additional 2-4 units to my trailer stash. The collapsing handle makes them easy to apply in tight places and allows them to stow more orderly.

old-iron-habit and DMiller like this.
  6. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

I've been told to place a padlock in the security holes on the Peerless binders. These have a way of disappearing at the truck stops being both expensive, and desirable. I only use mine locally and don't have that problem, but I understand theft is an issue.

[​IMG]

DMiller likes this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Those look nice. I built this chain and binder rack about 15 years ago. It is a chunk of 3" angle iron, I drilled the holes in the drill press and slotted them with the porta-band, extended it on the bottom back to the tongue frame, then welded on that 3" strap with the hinges. It only keeps honest people honest but far better than nothing.
    PXL_20211216_202511705-1.jpg

8. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

I like that real well. Like you said it helps a person stay honest and a good way to do it.

skyking1 and DMiller like this.
  9. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

That is a slick set up and nicely organized.

DMiller and skyking1 like this.
  10. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Hate snaps, seen way too many near misses or hits with them, we won't use them. Plus you can use a ratchet for a lot of stuff.

Flat Thunder Channel and DMiller like this.
  11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Kinda Retired
    Snap overs still have uses where ratchets will work but are not as efficient. Again steel haulers will see more snap overs than ratchet types. Get load on and flip a few chains/binders and go.

12. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Sure snaps are a bit cheaper, but I figure the math let's say a big trucking company has 1000 binders save $30 a piece, that would probably all vanish plus a lot more in the event 1 employee gets seriously hurt by a snap binder. They are fine if used properly, but these days people can hurt themselves with a paperclip. Considering how common sense is pretty much gone, it baffles me companies would take a risk like that. I would bet with 4 binders you would not save 30 seconds tying down, if mine are lubed up they go on and off in a flash and the biggest benefit is they stay tight but not too tight, snap are laser tight or too loose most of the time. Honestly surprised they haven't been outlawed yet.

13. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Yeah I still see the occasional small hauler running snaps but I think most places have figured out cost of buying a guy a new face makes the ratchets much more appealing lol.