1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ratcheting or Snap Binders?

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by BKrois, Nov 7, 2003.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Have used both and own both where both have a place of use.
    Prefer ratchet binders to over center flip binders. Know two that have lost teeth one broken nose several close calls where the user was taking flip over too tight initially ‘saving time’
    Anytime take a shortcut are setting that stage for failure.

2. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

I do not have much experience with either, but I will say I dislike the cam over center binders. Everytime I use them I have difficulty achieving the desired clamping force. It's usually too loose or ungodly tight. It could just be my lack of experience encouraging the issues. My typical loading practice is to chain the front and ratchet strap the vehicle/equipment towards the rear of the trailer. I prefer using big ratchet straps on almost everything, but will be buying some ratcheting chain binders in the future. I think my ratchet straps work fine, but would like a couple chain binders for the heavy/dirty stuff. I like those peerless units someone posted. The folding handle looks convenient, but what keeps them from loosening? Typically the handle rests on the deck to help lock them from unscrewing?

DMiller likes this.
  3. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Just doing a quick read on this subject reminded me of the time an outfit came to pick up a used Symonds Cone crusher the company sold.

Forget what model it was but they were loading it in a shipping container and it just fit side to side so that gives you an idea it wasn't something that you could put in the back of an F-250! I was the one running the overhead crane to put it in from the top.

As I recall they blocked up the four corners on wooden blocks the proceeded to put on the ratchet straps to hold it in place. To be generous I would say they were maybe 1 1/2 wide straps and one pulling in each of four directions! No one in the shop said anything as I believe we had been told to only load it as requested. Well I know there were some exchanges of looks but nothing said till the truck left the shop.

Never heard anything after it left the quarry but several of us said we hoped the driver didn't have to touch the brakes too hard on the way to where he was going. Also hoped for smooth sailing on the container ship it was going on. I know if that load was only going to the other side of the quarry it would have had good strong chains and binders holding on the truck if not bolted to the work frame built out of eight inch pipe and bolted on cross braces.

Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  4. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I had to put some stuff in shipping containers before. One time we put a jaw crusher in one it just fit very tight took all day to load it and when the doors would close that was it. I wondered what the driver thought that came and got it and if it made it were ever it was headed over seas. Another time we shipped a compresser,drill and alot of spare parts. I loaded 1 container with the compresser and spare parts then the drill went in another one i think it had to be taken apart. We had a lot of 1/4 cable that we used to secure them with.

Tugger2, Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  5. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

1/4" cable probably works the best with those tie down lugs they hide in the corners of the containers. I shipped one of my cranes from Montreal out to the Coast . I was ordered by the railway to pay these guys to tie it down . I had to step in when they wanted to weld my nicely stacked boom sections together.My comprimise to them was to pull the pins and slide some easy fit round bar thru them and tack stoppers to the bar. Back then it was 4 grand for them to do what i do all the time.

6. Don.S

Don.S Well-Known Member

Ya but the Montreal tax had to be made somewhere so that those guys could give a brown envelope to someone for the work they recieved from you. Or so i have heard that is how it works there.

Tugger2 likes this.