1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Rake Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by Reuben Frazier, Jul 29, 2020 at 5:47 PM.

1. Reuben Frazier

Reuben Frazier Well-Known Member

I’m thinking about getting a 3 point hitch plate and then putting a 8’ tractor rake on it for cleaning up limbs and debris we pull out of fence rows to help in clean up after we’re finished. Does anyone have any experience using a rake for cleaning up debris on a tractor or skid steer? I’m looking at a King Kutter type rake but I’m not sure who builds a solid unit. It will just be an every once in a while used piece of equipment so I can’t justify dropping 4K on a skid steer dedicated set up and finding a used one has been impossible.
    Thoughts, opinions or concerns on this, will it help or be more of a pain?

2. Reuben Frazier

This type of rake

Attached Files:

3. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Senior Member

We had an 8’ that we pulled on a 3-point and it really didn’t work well. We wanted to do the same as you and scrape up debris etc as we cleared land. The problem was it wouldn’t really pull up anything that was still sort of buried, things tended to get caught in the tines also. If you managed to pull a decent pile of debris you were likely to get a lot of dirt also. If the ground was not level and had turf it was hard to get everything from the low spots.

On tilled or really excavated land it did work OK but you still had to be careful of just getting a lot of dirt. Especially hard when the dirt was wet.

We sold the rake and now use a stone fork on the CTL for raking debris up. Make piles and change to pallet forks and load on dump truck.

Tags likes this.
  4. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I found it pulled lots of dirt. I would make a windrow, then pull it at 90* to the first direction, 2 or 3 times. Every time I changed direction, it got cleaner. When somebody stole it, I didn't bother to replace it. Mine was a Leinbach, it was very sturdy, broke a few teeth, but that was it.

5. Reuben Frazier

We’re cutting and pulling all the debris up by hand off the fence and making a row about 5-6’ off the fence line removing anything of size so it’s mostly vines, small limbs and weeds, I was just looking for a way to pull it into larger piles to load up saving some man hours. It’s probably wishful thinking on my part but if we could rake it up into larger piles it would sure save some time when you have miles of overgrown fence to clean.

6. RTSmith

RTSmith Senior Member

Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
  7. Reuben Frazier

I have one of those and all the other style grapple/rakes to and they all have thr place but they won’t get the small stuff. Typically it wouldn’t be a concern but this is on a wealthy family’s play ranch and mama wants it “Clean” so mamas getting it clean before we plant the grass. I voted for plowing it all down and starting over but got veto’d on that real quick due to the fence being built with hand cut Bois Dark posts by her late father. Rich folks problems I tell ya, lol

Tenwheeler likes this.
  8. southernman13

southernman13 Senior Member

Retired
    A quick attach brand quick claw gets up the small stuff pretty good. The top lid will allow you to flip it over and back drag. It’s just like raking a lawn. We have one and I love it.