• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

R9800 working and transport pics

Gavin84w

We can get any one on the machines but they can,t see squat when it comes to operating the things and just hope for the best, i have just seen 2 16M,s and the access stairway on them is incredible, no view of the LHS of the blade hardly at all but for 99% of the day when you are grading you will see the ladder to get off for that other 1% of the day.

CAT793

Know I am a bit retarded Gav............but why can't they design a Cab that is accessed from the Rear (there is a joke for someone). Reduce 2 doors to 1 and walk over the Tandems and alight at the rear near the Ripper box?????

golfy

Occupation
Operator
hey guys..

we also have a L1850 and I quite often joke that it should have a minute meter instead of an hour meter in it!!!

I also just got passed out on the new RH340B shovel.. i feel like i am tap dancing all day as it has five pedals on the floor.

far left one opens/closes clam, next two travel pedals, then modular "kick-out" then pedal for mine radio!!!

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
hey guys..

we also have a L1850 and I quite often joke that it should have a minute meter instead of an hour meter in it!!!

Sounds all too familiar, just ask Rod - CAT793. We have a new one at work, been nothing but junk since day one. I think they replace the audible warning alarm at 250 service hour intervals because it gets used so much.

I also just got passed out on the new RH340B shovel.. i feel like i am tap dancing all day as it has five pedals on the floor.

far left one opens/closes clam, next two travel pedals, then modular "kick-out" then pedal for mine radio!!!

Look on the brightside, your getting good training for when you step in a real shovel... like a Komatsu.

It's got 5 pedals, but neither one is for the 2-way or kick out, these are on the joystick's.

Far left is open followed by close.
Middle 2 are travel pedals.
Far right is slew brake. :tong

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Can't remember if I already posted these :beatsme

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 4,587
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,427

golfy

Occupation
Operator
hey Chris!!!

yeah well i havent been in any big komatsu gear so i cant compare.. :beatsme

have been running a ex5500 shovel, this one has been around.. got about
26k hours on it, was sitting in Mt Isa for 5 years before coming to hail creek.. they have right pedal open clam, then two travel pedals then close clam on left.. slew brakes built into machine!!! :)notworthy hitachi) lol

in the RH340 to go with the pedals there are also button and switches on the sticks..:eek:

lh lever buttons for local in-pit radio and also to retract dipper in closer to machine if required (or too lazy to walk it back a meter) and rocker switch for open/close of clam if your are walking machine..

rh lever rocker switch for load counts if you want to do it manually and buttons for horn and "power down" of the boom.

This 9800 looks awesome.. but they all do until grease starts to build up on them..:Banghead

Last edited:

alco

Maybe someday your "real" shovel manufacturer will be able to build a machine that has both clam functions on one pedal and no need for another pedal to stop swinging.......you know, like a modern machine.

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
now that is a big old bride....very nice pictures thanks for sharing them

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Maybe someday your "real" shovel manufacturer will be able to build a machine that has both clam functions on one pedal and no need for another pedal to stop swinging.......you know, like a modern machine.

You don't need to use the slew brake pedal to stop slewing, it will work just fine without it, in-fact using CS will in some cases cause the slewing down path to be smaller than that of the slew brake.

However, unlike the KMG range of Komatsu excavators, Hitachi, Liebherr, O&K, Terex and Bucyrus have no fail safe system in place to stop the machine from slewing in the event of, for example (one of many) loss of pilot pressure, consequently sending your fully loaded bucket into the backboard of the truck your loading.

So I'd say it's more like "maybe someday Hitachi, Liebherr and Bucyrus will manufacture a "modern" shovel with a fail safe backup system to stop the machine from slewing in the event of an emergency"

Alot of people don't understand the concept or how it works so no doubt there will be a few strange replies to this.

I wasnt having a go at ya Golfy, just some friendly banter :drinkup

Last edited:

alco

You don't need to use the slew brake pedal to stop slewing, it will work just fine without it, in-fact using CS will in some cases cause the slewing down path to be smaller than that of the slew brake.

That's funny, you've told me before that you have to use the slew brake, as it is very unsafe to counter swing and catastrophic damage can result. But only on Komatsu machines.

golfy

Occupation
Operator
all good chris..:D

all i can say is that i dont really like the fact that the O&K does not have a slew brake and relies soley on CS while in normal operation..so basically you have to drag the bucket through the dirt already in the truck to slow it down if you are a little keen/fast.. they do of course have a slew brake switch to activate whilst walking or whatever..

the hitachi way, inbuilt slew brake is much better IMHO..

alco

I'm just buggin' ya too Chris. I look at it this way, if you can't bug somebody for being a Komatsu fan, there's not much point getting out of bed in the morning.......lol.

You might be happy to know that the rumour mill says they might be getting a PC8000 to try out at our other mine. Word is they aren't too keen on buying anything from BI these days. Another rumour says we may see some dry leased EX8000s here at our mine.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
That's funny, you've told me before that you have to use the slew brake, as it is very unsafe to counter swing and catastrophic damage can result. But only on Komatsu machines.

I do remember, it was on DHS on one of the threads about those 5500's!

all good chris..:D

all i can say is that i dont really like the fact that the O&K does not have a slew brake and relies soley on CS while in normal operation..so basically you have to drag the bucket through the dirt already in the truck to slow it down if you are a little keen/fast.. they do of course have a slew brake switch to activate whilst walking or whatever..

the hitachi way, inbuilt slew brake is much better IMHO..

A lot of people get confused when you talk about using the slew brake instead of CS on Komatsu's, they think you mean the slew house gear brake or slew park brake as it is commonly related to. Obviously, like the other OEM's it does have the slew house gear brake which can be activated by a toggle switch in the cab, when the machine is shut down or the access ladder or service arm is down. There's no safety feature installed on the slew house gear brake to stop you from engaging it while slewing (same with all OEM's) so in emergencies it can be used to stop you, however, it will be pretty ruthless and would obviously have to be changed out after the incident.

What do you mean by the Hitachi in-built slew brake?

I'm just buggin' ya too Chris. I look at it this way, if you can't bug somebody for being a Komatsu fan, there's not much point getting out of bed in the morning.......lol.

You might be happy to know that the rumour mill says they might be getting a PC8000 to try out at our other mine. Word is they aren't too keen on buying anything from BI these days. Another rumour says we may see some dry leased EX8000s here at our mine.

I thought as much Brian, I guess I have thin skin when it comes to Komatsu. I'm doomed now though as you've found my weak spot, 1-0 to you. Good on ya! :tong

I'm pleased to hear that Brian, I don't need to tell you what I think, I'm sure you already know! To my knowledge the latest PC8000 is the one delivered to Collie's Griffin Coal in WA, Australia. Number 69 she is/will be when they build her. There's a few mines in NSW, Australia who have tendered for some 8000's too, 5 I think it is.

You may be surprised that I'm pleased to hear about those EX8000's too. I was going to say hopefully, but I'll be a sport and say maybe, maybe one day we’ll see a world where there’s nothing but diesel hydraulic shovels and excavators!

Back on the subject, anyone got any inside info of the status of the 9800's? How many are being built, and who's mine has ordered how many?

In the meantime, here's something for you Brian, not sure if you've already seen it. But here's how we "RH400" down under!

YouTube - O&K RH 400

golfy

Occupation
Operator
Yeah i mean hitachi equipment has auto slew brake feature.. so when you slew and release lever it slows itself and holds in place.. no need to counter slew at all.. and also no need to have to flick a switch for slew brake when walking machine either.. :D

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
We had a Liebher 994 here where I work a couple of years ago, nice machine to operate but what was a pain in the neck ,literally and physically with the computer screens and the console on the right hand side of the cab blocking a lot of view. I got into the habit of tilting my head to the left and ended up with a pain in the neck.:( And I see they are still on the right hand side.:beatsme

heavyplant6

Occupation
h/d fitter
I'm heading to leibherr in perth next month and when i had my interview late Decmber they told me they have 152 R9800 on order plus loads of 996's plus a pile of there dumpers as well.
Hope that helps chriss.
Jason