• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quick mini Excavator 2 speed question.

Deere Foreman

So I purchased a 2012 Case cx36b mini ex from a local contractor a couple of months ago. The machine runs and operates great... except for whatever reason this machine is stuck in the high range 2 speed. Which for most things works okay, but really limits you in your turning in tight areas. I took the machine to the dealer, and then to one other reputable shop after that to fix this issue. $5000 later and a bunch of useless new parts thrown at it, and it is still not fixed, no one can seem to figure it out. So my question... if I were to pull the high speed lines loose from each drive motor and cap them off, then plug the hole in the drive motor...would it put the machine back in low speed? Eliminating the 2nd speed, which is fine with me.

heymccall

What was replaced to get to $5k?

As to capping the line and port, plugging the supply line would work, but plugging the port would most likely cause pressure to build while operating, forcing unintended high range.
You could tee the 2 speed port in with the case drain, though. And that could be easier and simpler if done at the bottom of the swivel joint (rotary union).

The system is really simple. Switch, controller, solenoid, motor.

Does 2 speed light work in concert with the switch?
Is there voltage at solenoid when high travel is requested?
What is travel shift pressure when in low? In high?

strykerakamack

Just had to replace solenoid switch on my yanmar vio35-3 to get it out of high speed . The solenoid {just a normally open switch} froze closed which is located right under foot pedal for high speed engagement . Soon as I
disconnected the plug got my low speed back . New switch and high speed on demand is back . As it only engages when the circuit is closed so less you have wires that have been damaged and are in contact with each other pull the solenoid and see if that solves problem

Deere Foreman

Thank you guys for the replies. There are two travel solenoids on this machine, both of which did get replaced by the dealer. I did notice after those were replaced, the "bunny" or high speed light is now illuminated. But it is always on, s soon as you hit the key the light is lit up. Pushing the botton does not do anything. The next thing I had checked was to see if the button itself was bad, was tested and worked fine. I have tested for voltage (with a test light, not a voltage meter) at the solenoids and both seem to be getting power. With that being said, i don't know how much voltage is supposed to be sent to those solenoids to open/close them. Its kind of like the solenoids are not doing anything at all. You can even unplug them and nothing happens, you can turn the key on, which sends power to them, and still nothing happens... no click, no anything. I check one of my other mini's and with your hand on the solenoid you can definitely feel a little click when the two speed is engaged, but not on these. Old and new solenoids do the same thing, which is nothing. Kind of a head sctacher

strykerakamack

Sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere then in the circuit which is causing the system to stay closed and engage the high speed system , pull the solenoids then check the leads to ground (each one) if you get continuity follow that back to the short .
Look for a pinch point in the wiring harness to see if problem is inside loom