• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quick, lie to to me, that metal clunk in my engine is fine...

jonathanks

Got my 951C (86J3065) started up and ran it around the field this morning. It died, just like when I shut it down. Fuel is very low, primed the system which was empty, turned it over, no start. Thought maybe if I give it a boost it will prime and all good. Hit it with a little ether kI know bad idea) and as soon as I turned it over it starts making a metal clunking sound every revolution.

So not so good. Thinking a rod bearing. Understand ether not the best choice, but assuming something was not happy already. Unless there is some other issue that will make a metallic sound when it turns over (somewhat ruled out valve, but anything is possible) I've stepped way back on this machine. Still have to go through all the bushings and pins...

Looks like reman 3304 engines are way more than I can justify, used still pretty high for a farm machine. Kits a lot less, but assume machine shop costs are going to run a pretty penny. And of course it doesn't make money, so payback is all in experience and offset from hiring equipment out. At least that was the idea.

And of course it is stuck in the middle of a field...

Any advice on where to go from here? Or a good lie that it is really not that bad...

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Fist off you get bonus points for listing the model and S/N in the first sentence of the posts. Those points can be redeemed for valuable free advice!

No direct knowledge of 3304's other than they have balance shafts in the bottom end. Problem is sometimes parts of those can come loose and that is not a good thing.

I would not recommend trying to run it anymore. Any way to move it without running it?

Might pay to remove oil filter and cut it open to see if there is anything in there to scare you even worse!

If it is possible to work under there and get the oil pan off so you could remove a couple rod caps or main caps at atime to see how they look?

I will attach the instructions on removing the engine if it come to that:

Attachments

• 951C Engine remove.pdf
    291.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Could be lots of other things... like the connection to the transmission... fan or pulleys on the front of the motor... I'd get access to move the crankshaft by hand/bar and see what that feels like clear over and rocking it.

So... how much ether is 'a little'??? is this like a one second full power burst??? or more like holding the can in the intake for 30 seconds then run around to hit the key? ;)

And did it actually start when you tried to boost it... or is this noise strictly while just cranking it?

kshansen

Occupation
Go back to my post, edited it to give a bit more info, like how to pull engine!

You also say it makes the noise "as I turned it over it starts making a metal clunking sound every revolution."

Does this mean you did not actually start it just cranked it over a bit?

If so I might try turning it by hand to see if it still makes the noise.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Ether locked if it knocks while cranking.
If she started and was banging, odds are the stall was a result of something bad, like a doubled up rod or main that got knocked loose when cranking with starter.
If shes ether locked or fuel knocking, you could just pull the air cleaner and let her air out a bit. No dust while the ground is frozen.

jonathanks

I went back after I let it sit a bit. Got to thinking it was a bit fuel locked. It turned over and started. Still has a thump I don't like, not good enough with these to have a good idea of what is bad and what is tuning. I have a few sins to take care of. Probably need to clean up or flip the plate in the starter. It turns slow with batteries full up. Also have a cable splice that I think has more resistance than it should. And all the fluids are suspect...

But other than that, I'm close to the begining of sorting this machine. Would love to go through rhis one like nitelite did his...

kshansen

Occupation
Well one thing that would be good to do is pull the oil filter and cut it open and see if there is any metal in there before running it any more.

Might also try to make a video of it while starting and running. Someone might have an opinion on any noise it is making.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ether Knock is not abnormal, may have allowed fuel TOO low and sucked air. Get it back to where you have a Structure access and add Fuel to keep it running.

jonathanks

I've got the batteries out charging now. Back to being stalled again.

Had a friend pass away suddenly at 47 this week. Kind of of derailed me altogether. Puttering around this weekend thinking about life, not getting much done...

kshansen

Occupation
These do have 'Pucks' in the drive coupling that enjoy failing at the least opportune time
Not being familiar first hand with this machine is one of the reasons I suggested cutting open a filter before going to panic mode. If no metal in there then you can slowly check out other things keeping a close ear to any change in noises.
Also try rocking it back and forth by hand to see if you can hear any thing that way.

You may find the noise is those pucks on the way out.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I just bought a decent looking D4D with a bad 3304 engine for cheap. The previous owner, a small contractor and a pretty knowledge mechanic figured it had a "fuel knock" when he bought it. Loosening injector lines one at a time never got it to stop. Finding two rod bearing halves in the bottom of the oil pan and two bent rods tells the real story. Looking for a crank now.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I just bought a decent looking D4D with a bad 3304 engine for cheap. The previous owner, a small contractor and a pretty knowledge mechanic figured it had a "fuel knock" when he bought it. Loosening injector lines one at a time never got it to stop. Finding two rod bearing halves in the bottom of the oil pan and two bent rods tells the real story. Looking for a crank now.
That's an ouch........although it all depends on how cheap "for cheap" was I guess.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
That's an ouch........although it all depends on how cheap "for cheap" was I guess.

I bought it for $2,000, 80 miles from home. He had a yard full of equipment to load it with so it was am easy retrive. 8 foot straight blade, D4E winch, full protection canopy. Tracks are 30 percent left but probably plenty enough left for as many hours as I put on my toys.

jonathanks

Taking this week off (or attempting to) with intention of getting some things done. Took longer to get back from funeral than we planned. Now it is Christmas eve, so we'll see...

I'll have to find out more on the coupling pucks. Sounds painful. I have a set of books. They are reproductions, haven't decided how good they are yet... Batteries are full up now, but need to look at my cables. I did a splice, but it isn't as solid as it should be, also found some insulation that is looking poor under the batteries. And of course all of the hold downs are not fuctional... also need to read through thebpostbon the starter again and make sure it is working well.

The thump I feel in my feet more than hear. I've run it less than 20 hours since I bought it, only one with the bucket on it, but have known it needs full maintenance. Engine oil is pretty ugly (need to research what you guys are running in these now). It drops below the low idle indication once it warms up. Can keep it in that "low idle" range with a few rpm's, but it doesn't hold working pressure. I'm hoping that is more oil related, but could be lying to myself again. As has been said, I think I ether locked it before. Surprised a bit as I hold the can maybe 5 secs as I'm cranking. Could have been 10 this last time, but dont think so, but did hit it over three tries. I had run the fuel too low, have a few gallons in it now. It seems to run as it did.

Unfortunately my confidence in what I'm doing is pretty low. Diesel experience is limited, work too much, and have few places to work, none with any cover. Bought it to help build the shop, among other farm related tasks... Much to learn, hopefully spending only what I need to make it right (hate spending money to make it wrong). I am sure I can do it, but probably need a little help. Just have to get beyond the perpetual beginning part.