• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quick-couplers w hydraulic lines

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
i use aeroquip hoses and quick couplers. I don't know if that's what your looking for though.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I think what artherd is referring to is those quick attachs that incorporate the aux hose connections so that, like when changing a breaker, you don't have to get your lazy butt out of the machine to do the hoses:rolleyes: :D

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I have a Hendrix quick coupler, screw type connectors and poppet style connectors on my PC200. I will never own another excavator without a quick coupler. It is 10 years old and still works great.

I use two different styles of hydraulic couplers for my lines. I use the Aeroquip 1" screw type connectors rated at 10,000 psi for the brush cutter main lines and 5,000 psi poppet style connectors for the Komatsu hydraulic lines. Each line is individually connected. The poppet style connectors can not handle long term shock loading as they will flatten out the balls and make connections near impossible and require frequent replacement. Brake parts cleaner is used to ensure cleanliness of parts when connecting lines.

The Hendrix is a first generation coupler without the newer, fancier safety systems. Backup springs provide positive pressure to keep the coupler locked in case of hydraulic leakage. A hydraulic ram keeps the coupler positively fastened and provides the unlock feature when required. Twist a switch in the cab to lock or unlock the coupler. The system runs off of the pilot pressure system which provides for increased safety. A 500 psi oil leak is better than a 5000 psi oil leak and this system will not jepardize the other functions of the excavator. Low pressure lines are cheaper to replace and they use reuseable fittings.

Other than a couple of hose repairs and some replacement solenoids on the valve body, I've had no major problems. When the coupler got a little sloppy, I rebuilt the contour with 7018 rods.

I work alone therefore time is money and efficiency is everything. Without any accessory hydraulic lines to hook up, I change buckets and other non hydraulic tools in 15 - 30 seconds. I swap from ripper to bucket all day when digging in rocky or hardpacked conditions. Clearing jobs use the demolition rake, ripper and bucket. The tree shear and brush grinder take 2 - 15 minutes to remove or install due to hydraulic hose cleaning and hook-ups. Time is better spent on a clean installation than a trashed hydraulic system.

If you work by the hour, don't get a quick coupler or a thumb. These tools will add too much to your efficiency and you will not get paid enough of a difference to justify their use. Hydraulic line quick couplers are a no brainer. Less fluid loss, clean connections and fast change over. Save time and money. Bid your work correctly and you can outperform most of you competition by using a thumb and quick couplers while improving your overall hourly production figures. :D

Last edited:

digdeeper

What price range are the quick couplers with and without hydraulic hookups for larger machines like a cat 320?