1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions On Forum Functions

Discussion in 'Support' started by Countryboy, Jan 24, 2008.

?

Were the explanations in the "Forum Functions" thread helpful?

1. Very Helpful

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Helpful

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Less Than Helpful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not Helpful At All

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. I Don't Use The Functions

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
    I want to compile a list, in this thread, of functions yall are struggling with on the forum. I'm pretty fluent with the functions of this forum so I figured I'd spread the knowledge. I went through the forum trying to find functions to talk about but thought it better if yall picked them for me.

Just post a list of functions you would like me to do a detailed explanation on. I want to stay away from questions in this thread as I want to be able to skim through the lists quickly.

This forum offers many features and functions to help optimize your viewing pleasure. If you don't know how to use them, your experience can be less than satisfactory. I hope to solve this with these explanations.

After I get a decent size list made up, I'll start another thread called "Forum Functions" that contains the explanations. There is a poll at the top of this thread for feedback on the helpfulness of the explanations. Please vote accordingly. By the way, the poll is private so it doesn't show your name when you vote.

Thanks,

CB :Cowboy

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    I can nav the site pretty well as is.

3. Lashlander

Lashlander Senior Member

How do you answer individual sentences in one post without them all being encased in the quoted post? Every time I've tried it all my sentences end up in the quote and even I have a hard time following along.:eek:

4. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

I haven't forgotten about ya Lash. When I get back to work this evening I'll elaborate, on what we talked about, in the "Quoting Other Posts" thread.

Anybody else have questions on forum functions....

5. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

interspersing text, in between pictures.

6. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

Done :)

The "Forum Functions" thread is now available. All further tutorials will be located there.

7. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Aawwwww, Mannn....
    You so goood to me :usa

Could we also make less space up top, so it shows the date and other header info, from the top post, in the bottom of the browser?
    It used to show this, and was nice, since I don't run full screen, if I can help it.
    (I keep 5 or 6 windows open, all the time.
    I've also had over 30 tabs open, at the same time, as well.)

8. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to view the newest post in a thread, with the other posts in a list above the newest one. Here, try this.

Go into your User Control Panel (User CP) and click on "Edit Options" on the menu on the left side of the screen. Go down to "Thread Display Mode" and click on the pull down menu. Change the view to "Threaded Mode" and see if that does what you're wanting.

9. surfer-joe

surfer-joe Senior Member

How about an easily accessible "spell checker," for those of us that slept through that class in school?

Sometimes text doesn't come out right when transferred back from Microsoft Word. (It would have to translate Aussie into English too):D

10. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

We have a spell checker on the forums. It's located above the smiley's box on the reply screen. The button looks like this: spelling.gif I haven't used it though so maybe someone else can elaborate further.

If you haven't used it before, it asks you to download something the first time you hit the button. After that, it should check your spelling after you hit the button.

There's some more information about it in this thread: Spell Check Program

I wish I could help more, I just don't use it. :D

11. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I believe that the vBulletin spell check requires that iespell be installed, or at least it used to. I have it installed on all my computers so I'm not sure whether the spell check here will work without it. www.iespell.com is where you can get the program.

12. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

I don't have it installed and when I click the spell check button, I get a prompt to install it. It must still be required.

13. Lashlander

Lashlander Senior Member

I installed it on my computer. It puts a check spelling in the right click on your mouse. Wrks ggood if you yous it.

14. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

Thanks for clarifying. I can't download it on this computer, so I just have to make sure it's spelled right in the first place. ;)

15. Cat420

Cat420 Senior Member

Construction, small engine and machine shop work
    Firefox has spell check built in. It underlines incorrect words in red and you can right click them and select the correct spelling. I also find the fonts in Firefox to be a little easier on the eyes. Everything in IE seems to have a slight cartoonish appearance to me. Of course it's no help if you aren't able to install stuff on your computer.

16. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    Strewth Mate, next you'll be wanting us to type the post for ya...Crikey!:D

17. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

No.
    I want the thread to open normally, but with the ability to see the date line, on the top post.

This would conflict with the top banners, because they would have to shrink, to let the top line of the top post show, in the bottom of the browser.

Not that big of a deal.
    It only takes a second, to move the vertical scroll bar down a tad, to see if I will need to open another tab, for the previous page.
    :)

18. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

So what you're saying is you'd like me to redesign the layout of the newly designed header so that you can have 5 or 6 windows open or up to 30 tabs open???? Somehow I don't think that's a request the Countryboy anticipated when he started this thread......

19. caterpillar627

caterpillar627 New Member

cant reply to post

just wondering why i cant reply to someones post thanks gary

20. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

You're replying to this one. As a probationary member, your privileges are restricted. I see that you've advanced to full status so that should clear things up for you.