• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question re BIC Auxiliary Hydraulic Valve on a Case 580 Super M

Blueacre

I just bought a Case 580 Super M that has a Buffalo Installation Corporation (BIC) Model K5500 Auxiliary Hydraulic valve and boom hose connections. Their website is http://burlingtoninstallation.com/auxkit55002.htm

There is an electrical toggle switch mounted on the one backhoe boom control lever that controls the valve when the system master switch is on. Seems to work OK, the hoses to the boom flex with the pressure increase when when the switch is activated.

My problem is with the control knob mounted on the hydraulic line guard on the right side over the batter compartment. See picture from BIC website attached. It says it is to adjust the gallons per minute (gpm). It has a cable like a speedometer or emergency brake cable - rubber covered steel outer - the cable runs from the back of the knob to the valve assembly. I think as the knob is turned it must turn a metering valve inside the hydraulic valve to control flow. The knob will not turn - I expect the cable is rusted and has seized inside the outer cover.

Just wondering if anyone has ever worked on one of these and how it comes apart so I can free up or replace the cable. Where the cable ends at the hydraulic valve there is a small hex nut about 9/16 across flats that screws into a cylindrical adapter that appears to be held on the the valve by a large hex nut - about !-1/4 inch across - if I can unscrew that nut will I be able to pull the cable out of the valve so I can work on freeing it up ?

Attachments

• BIC Control Knob.jpg
    BIC Control Knob.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 18

redranch

I see no one is replying and I dont have the answer either but I have the same problem on my sm. I have never used the auxiliary hydraulic but have a question. Have the same set up that you have with the flow knob that wont turn> have a two stick and a switch is taped to the stick and have a pedal on the floor. How do you tell if it is a directional flow for a thumb or a one way for a hammer? Ive never messed with it to engage it and see if hoses move. Thank you.

Blueacre

Reply to redranch - not sure how to tell what your valve function is - I was lucky and there are stickers on the right control panel - see attached photos of the stickers on my machine. Mine seems to be a dual function with both 2 way directional and single direction as well. Mine is a 4 stick and the toggle switch on the boom lever appears to provide 2 direction control - pushing toggle one way pressurizes left boom hose and pushing toggle the other way pressurizes right boom hose.

The guard over the hydraulic lines on the right switch where the flow control knob mounts was rusted on my machine so I removed it and cut the metal around the knob backing plate to free that end up. At the other end of the cable from the knob where it fastens to the valve there is a hex end on the cable - 9/16 wrench I think - It screws into a round sleeve about 1 inch diameter - this sleeve turns fairly easily if you grab it with a pair of channel lock pliers. I held the 9/16 hex on the cable and turned the round sleeve with pliers and was able to screw the cable out of the round sleeve.

To my surprise the end of the cable is solid steel with just the outer threads to screw into the sleeve on the valve. Once I had the cable removed I turned the sleeve on the valve by hand - It moves freely and you can feel a detent every 60 degree - total 6 detents positions in a full rotation. This corresponds to the 6 gpm settings on the control knob at the other end of the cable from 1 to 6 gpm

I checked the cable closer once I had it removed from the machine and found it was very flexible most of the length but where it makes a 90 degree bend before entering the valve it was very stiff and hard to bend. I cut the rubber jacket off and fond the steel cable was rusty in the area where it wouldn't bend freely. The rubber sheath is like a coating on the steel core - the cable does not turn inside the rubber. The steel cable is about 3/8 diameter once the rubber jacket is cut off.

I think I figured out how it should work and why mine doesnt. It works essential like the inner steel cable core of a speedometer cable but there is no outer sheath - If you turn one end - in this case with the knob, the other end will turn the same amount. I think in this application the steel cable is large enough that it doesnt need an outer sheath and the rubber jacket is just a coating to prevent corrosion of the cable. The knob wont turn because of the rusted section at the valve end in a 90 degree bend - its lie trying to twist a solid steel rod with a 90 degree bend on the other end that is fastened to something.

I have used an adapter to force penetrating oil into a speedometer or emergency brake cable many times as suggested by tinkerer but unfortunately wont work in this case because it isnt a typical steel cable inside a sheath.

I dont know if I will ever use this feature so I dont want to spend the money on new cable

Plan A - I am going to try soaking the steel cable in diesel fuel now that I have removed the rubber jacket, apply a little heat and try flexing it see if I can restore the flexibility.
Plan B - If that doesnt work I think it might be possible to make one with a piece of 3/8 flexible steel cable and transfer the ends from the old cable to the replacement - could use a piece of shrink wrap or a rubber hose over the cable to protect it.
Plan C - It wouldnt be a big deal to just crawl under the machine and turn the sleeve on the valve by hand if I ever need to adjust the flow. I found a plastic plug that was close to the same diameter as the threaded end of the cable and with a little sealant screwed it into the hole in the valve where the cable attached to keep any dirt out for now.Aux Hydraulics 1.jpg Aux Hydraulics 1.jpg Aux Hydraulics 2.jpg Aux Hydraulics 3.jpg Aux Hydraulics 1.jpg Aux Hydraulics 2.jpg Aux Hydraulics 3.jpg

redranch

good information, when I get time I will look at mine and try freeing it up. Pretty sure mine is set up for a hammer which is no help to me. If get thumb guess would have to get a pin on one. A mini excavator would be nice with thumb, not sure that is going to happen.