• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question on CAT track brake rebuild

fastline

I am working on something else right now, but it dawned on me today that years ago I rebuilt the brakes on a 200 series CAT hoe that were just gushers. The machine had not tracked in some time, but after the brakes were done, I had one track that had a very mysterious "hang up" on one side. Like it would track just fine until you try to get a little speed, then it was like you slammed those brakes hard. It was only happening on one side.

But I realized something, IIRC, there was only a single port on those brakes for hydro fluid. I know for certain I would have soaked the plates (hundreds of motorcycles, I know the drill), but I don't recall actually adding oil to the brakes. I might be totally forgetting I did, but I am now curious if that could/would cause such a hang up? I might be rather pissed at myself to miss such a thing. I guess I would assume that eventually, the brakes would accumulate some oil over time, or is that usually not a critical issue?

Dave Neubert

The brakes should get lube from the final drive oil the hyd oil only extends a piston so the only way you would get hyd. oil on discs is if the piston seal was bad