• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question, M series in OZ

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
I was told a few days ago that M series graders or any machine with only joystick steering can't be registered for road use and have to be transported to job sites in Ausrtalia or maybe just some states and thats why some contractors prefer JD graders. Can anyone elaborate on this or is it just a rumor. :beatsme

sandy

Occupation
diesel mechanic
The local shire have a m see it driving to roading sites all the time, south west victoria

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Diggerop

mate i think they can the local shire in my home town has one and it is registered too also and what about the SAAB car that cam out with a joy stick it was sold in aus and road legal bear in mind a massive flop but it got on the roads so i dont see why the grader wont

770G

I hear that Its being looked at to make all graders to be manufactured with a steering wheel

EH 4000

In Queensland there's M series graders with the conditional registration. Lots of JD graders getting around now. The JD is reportedly a top grader, plus, if the 16Ms at work are anything to go by, the M series, steering faults and tandem leaks are par for the course.:beatsme

EH 4000

Well the M is basically a supercomputer on 6 wheels. I'm kinda surprised JD hasn't put out some bigger graders for the mining industry. Have only heard excellent reports on their other graders. Think they've misssed an opportunity with the endless issues of the M series.

rare ss

I was told a few days ago that M series graders or any machine with only joystick steering can't be registered for road use and have to be transported to job sites in Ausrtalia or maybe just some states and thats why some contractors prefer JD graders. Can anyone elaborate on this or is it just a rumor. :beatsme

I have heard that when they were first released, things may have changed? we did have a 140M registered on a consessional (must be used between road work signs only) local shired have gone for Deere or Volvo grader due to them wanting to drive from their depot to their job sites ect

I also heard that was the reason for CAT using the "command control" steering rather than joysticks on their larger loaders so they can be driven on the road in the states??

Ryanrb25

Im in SA mate and i've seen plenty of the new M series Cat graders driving around the streets. I'd be looking further into this for sure.

Ryanrb25

Don't know but there are lots of skid steers with number plates.....
Only way to know is to ask the dept of transport.

All of our equipment here in SA needs to be road registered for the compulsary 3rd party insurance and we drive them on the road quite a bit around sites etc.

Hendrik

All of our equipment here in SA needs to be road registered for the compulsary 3rd party insurance and we drive them on the road quite a bit around sites etc.
Yeah another money spinner for the long lunch fund.
I take it all your gear is insured? The way I look at it, they are insured twice.

Dirt Junkie

Hey Guys all Caterpillar M series graders are road licenseable in Australia. We licenece most of our machines here in WA up to 140M size.

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
Thanks for the responses everyone. It looks like that they can be registered, maybe some concessions apply at times. And today I saw one on the road and it had a number plate on it. Not that I want to register one I was just curious about what this person said. :drinkup

Gavin84w

Total BS, EOS.