1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Question for the welders

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Bumpsteer, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Been doing some shop cleanup/cleanout.

Don't recall where I got this, or why, but it's an inert gas regulator, new in the box.

What welding application would use this? Secondary side pressures are high for general mig or tig use. I'm at a loss.

Ed

Attached Files:

• reg1.jpg
      reg1.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  2. 2grit

2grit Member

I cannot read the gauges well on your picture. Does the secondary gauge read as PSI or KPA? If it is KPA it would make sense because 30 PSI is approx. 200 KPA

3. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Says "Inert" so it's not Oxy or fuel, maybe Nitrogen for filling accumulators?

4. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

My thought as well. I haven't filled one but I know they have a regulator setup at our shop for doing that.

5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It can be used for any inert gas but I've used that type of regulator for charging accumulators and suspension struts. That one looks a little low for the struts though. Since you just found it you likely don't have much use for it. Last one I bought a bunch of years ago ran somewhere north of $100.

6. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Thanks for the input all. Honestly, I was stumped.

2grit, it reads in psi, it's pretty old, no metric markings at all.

Ed

7. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

I miss the days when nothing had metric.

8. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Amen brother... when it comes to volume and pressures... is it liters, gallons, cc's, cubic inches... and pressure.. PSI, KPA, Kg/cm3, BAR? I spend half my time converting crap to gallons, PSI, inches.....

9. RobVG

RobVG Senior Member

17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
    Isn't it great working on something with a mix? Thank gawd for conversion calculators on the internet.