• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pushing 12 yard piles

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
We have a problem , we were going to finish a road using base course. the road is 15' wide with a fence on each side we are using a 140G , the problem is the dump truck driver didnt wait for anyone to show up to help him dump so the driver dumped three 12 yard loads of base in the middle of the road , 2 of the piles are dumped together and the last was dumped about 15 feet away from the first 2 piles. the rest of the problem is we only have the blade on site and it will take another day to bring in a machine with a bucket to knock down the piles. How would YOU knock the piles down with out taking out the fence or bringing in another machine?

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Tough to decide whether to fire the truck driver before you figure this out, or after, lol.

Anyone with a brain would have at least dumped a spread. even if 3 feet deep you could deal with it that way......

Grader4me

Well, if you can't work them from the side, then you have to go on top of the plies. Once you get the top leveled off, start working your gravel ahead. Keep your blade angled so your not drifting the gravel into the fence. Take your time and don't get greedy with the amount of gravel on your blade.
Depending on how high the piles are you will probably have to do some backdragging. Be really easy if you had a front blade.
Drive the front end up on top of the first pile, drop your moldboard and haul some gravel back. Keep doing this until its level enough to start working it ahead. As said don't get greedy because you will just bog down the grader and have the gravel go where you don't want it to go..lol
Just take your time and think about what your doing...my 02 cents

Last edited:

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thanks for all the help guys
Contract logger, his heads already on the chopping block. hes done more then his fair share of stupid things lately, but this is probably the worst , especially when he knew he was to wait for someone to show up.

I was expecting to have to turn the blade and backdrag some , but should I backdrag some making a ramp to get on top of the next pile and push that down forward , or should I backdrag the second pile until i get it to a manageable sized pile?

Grader4me

Geez..don't start turning your blade..thats what you would be spending most of your time doing..lol
Backdrag to make your ramp, push in between the piles, get every thing leveled up..place it where you need it.

godoggies3

Dont be greedy

Comforting to know this happens to others.

Agree with all the other comments above.
Series of backblading to build up the level under the drives, then a push or two to fill the small gap between the loads, trick is don't be too greedy, if your digging in then your taking too much in a single pass.
Once you have the heaps reasonably level (even 3' high) the rest is easy.

Of course the alternative is to order another load, same driver, and be waiting for him with a shovel !
Good luck
Cheers
Wayne

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
Usually just driving over the piles pushing as i go forward and back drag as i reverse to get them spread enough to effectivly work with.....

The fresh pile can be knocked down a bit by running a steer tire over the center of it a time or 3...
Knock's down usually a foot or two,

ledsel

Usually just driving over the piles pushing as i go forward and back drag as i reverse to get them spread enough to effectivly work with.....

The fresh pile can be knocked down a bit by running a steer tire over the center of it a time or 3...
Knock's down usually a foot or two,

You've got it Truckin4life. There is nothing to it. That's the way half the truckers in the Hinton bush always dumped.(was ugly pitrun too).The wife handled it no problem with the old 760. Wish I had some pictures.:pointhead

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
1. pound grade stakes wherever you want a pile.
2. tell mouth breathing driver "do not dump any stone by those stakes.
3. sit back and watch the knuckle dragging driver place a neat pile on top of every stake.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Give the fricking truck driver a shovel.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Thanks for all the help, we got it knocked out today , it wasnt too fun either but it got done ,
Unfortunatly the driver didnt belong to us so there wasnt much I could do but complain, we had one of our crushers deliver the base , we didnt want to take our trucks to the site, the 10 mile access road is not very friendly and they deliver anywhere for the same price, but his super has been notified as to what kind of driver he is so I dont see him being employed much longer seeing as he couldnt follow simple directions , but it got done and done right , sorry for no pics I forgot the camera:beatsme thanks for all the help

Heimy

The saying at my company is "if you can't push a broom give them the truck to drive":D