• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pushin snow with the d-max

06bowtie_guy

So I've been out pushing snow the past 3 days, truck hit 63,000KM yesterday with a pile of snow infront. ;)

Anyways a couple shots from today, it works not a puss puss truck some some people have, ;D

stretch

Occupation
gopher
How does the D-Max compare to the Vortec 6000 (300 hp)? My dad got a 2500HD new in 2001 and I thought back then the D-Max would have been the better option, especially if he had gotten a plow for it. However, after the diesel price went up:eek:...I was thinking twice about if he had went with that.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Depends on that the truck is used for, but for most construction application diesel are better.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
How does the D-Max compare to the Vortec 6000 (300 hp)? My dad got a 2500HD new in 2001 and I thought back then the D-Max would have been the better option, especially if he had gotten a plow for it. However, after the diesel price went up:eek:...I was thinking twice about if he had went with that.

as for anything fuel mileage wise the diesel in those trucks is winning

i know two guys...father and son..son owns a brand new 2500 Chevy with the gas motor, dad owns a brand new 2500 Chevy with the diesel..both are 2008...both nearly identical...the gasser is getting 8mpg while the diesel is coming in around 15mpg, with all the DPF and everything on it

you take the DPF off you can expect another 2-3 MPG gain (from what i have heard)...we will see if that is true...i will be going with a Cummins and a DPF come April and plan on taking the DPF off

so with that in mind you figure if the diesel is getting twice the MPG as the gas then to make it not "economical" in fuel sense only, then diesel fuel would have to be more then twice the cost of gas...thats not including all the power and torque you lose when you go gas

Last edited:

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Can someone explain what a DPF is? Im guessing its some stupid emmisson crap! Darn greenies. Ive driven a 08 cummins and it dident even smell like a diesel with all the emmison crap on it! sorry dident mean to hi-jack

dirt digger

Occupation
its a particle filter...basically all the soot that a diesel emits is caught in this thing...looks kind of like one of those really thick shower sponge things that chicks use...only a lot thicker....a truck with a DPF will never blacken the tailpipe...not for a while anyway, then they use extra fuel to "burn off" the soot that gets caught in the DPF and spit out in the form of ash

its a crock, your MPG goes down so you are burning more fuel which is not helping the environment any more then not releasing the particulate matter into it...the new Cummins went from a 5.9L to a 6.4L and on paper has more horsepower...but because the engine has to work harder to push the exhaust gas out you loose the extra power..they make kits that "delete" the DPF but they are for off-road use, you can use them in on-road trucks until the day they start making emissions tests for diesel rigs 2008 and later

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
its a particle filter...basically all the soot that a diesel emits is caught in this thing...looks kind of like one of those really thick shower sponge things that chicks use...only a lot thicker....a truck with a DPF will never blacken the tailpipe...not for a while anyway, then they use extra fuel to "burn off" the soot that gets caught in the DPF and spit out in the form of ash

its a crock, your MPG goes down so you are burning more fuel which is not helping the environment any more then not releasing the particulate matter into it...the new Cummins went from a 5.9L to a 6.4L and on paper has more horsepower...but because the engine has to work harder to push the exhaust gas out you loose the extra power..they make kits that "delete" the DPF but they are for off-road use, you can use them in on-road trucks until the day they start making emissions tests for diesel rigs 2008 and later

Thanks for the info dirt digger:drinkup That explains why the exhaust is clean as a whistle and the fumes dont even smell like a diesel! Ill have to look into how to get that stupid thing off.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i have a '01 2500hd with the big vortec and i love it. 13mpg at 175000 miles and dirt cheep to run.

JDMGrading

True...But the new Cummins is a 6.7L. The Fords went from the problematic 6.0L to the Twin Turbo 6.4L.

As of right now all the three trucks (ford,chevy,dodge) are having problems with the emissions.

dirt digger

Occupation
True...But the new Cummins is a 6.7L.

it was 2am...i just got back from the bar...HAHA...you're right, i got the ford and dodge confused..shame on me

on the bright side i went to look at a 6.7 today...what a sharp truck

06bowtie_guy

This trucks is great since it's a pre dpf engine. :) Mods are efi live tuning, egr blocked, water/meth injection, fass 150gph pump, built allison 6 speed, 4" back to a single 4" stack. I had duals then pulled em off and now have a single.

Truck runs good, this past summer she ran a 12.92 in the 1/4 then backed it up with a 12.95. :)

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Come on add some drugs and put in in the 11s