• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pups

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
Why are used tandem pups so cheap State side?
Trailers that cost 5-10 K down there are easily 20K up here. Anyone up to some exporting? LOL

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
In B.C. Pup trailers are not used as much you can't haul enough compared to a quad axle transfer box. Plus with a transfer box you can go anywhere as you leave the wagon in a easy spot pull the box into the other box and go dump the load. Most truck and transfer trailer is easy grossing 138,000-139,000lbs.

I know a few tandem axle pup trailers just in my area do more sitting than working. Because they are used so little and are such a pain in the backside to get into construction sites everybody just hauls with a straight truck.

Look around B.C. especially around in the Interior you will probably find a few of them forsale.

alco

In B.C. Pup trailers are not used as much you can't haul enough compared to a quad axle transfer box. Plus with a transfer box you can go anywhere as you leave the wagon in a easy spot pull the box into the other box and go dump the load. Most truck and transfer trailer is easy grossing 138,000-139,000lbs.

I know a few tandem axle pup trailers just in my area do more sitting than working. Because they are used so little and are such a pain in the backside to get into construction sites everybody just hauls with a straight truck.

Look around B.C. especially around in the Interior you will probably find a few of them forsale.

That's interesting. I am originally from the Interior of BC and there are virtually no transfer trailers running around the area I am from unless they are passing through. All they use around the area are tandem pups, almost everybody has them.

Brian

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Transfer Trailers are mainly used on the South Coast you look around Vancouver they are all over the place. There are more tridrive dump trucks being used too with a 21' box they haul a decent load.

Noose

Occupation
We have a lot of wagon trains around, but for highway building.
I need a pup for backing down goofy driveways and getting into crappy sites.
how does the transfer system work? Where does the box attached to the truck go? What would the tare weights be? Approx?

alco

In B.C. Pup trailers are not used as much you can't haul enough compared to a quad axle transfer box.

Transfer Trailers are mainly used on the South Coast you look around Vancouver they are all over the place. There are more tridrive dump trucks being used too with a 21' box they haul a decent load.

Look at what you have said and then stop to think that maybe not all of BC is the South Coast. It's a big province and probably shouldn't be grouped all together as one for reference.

Brian

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Noose,
In a transfer system, the trailer box is transferred into the truck box which has rails for it inside. The truck box tailgate lifts up high enough so the trailer box fits underneath it. The transfer is done with air motors and the truck usually has to be level or on a slight downhill. The trailer box is locked inside the truck box with 2 big air operated hooks on the truck box that go over 2 pins on the trailer box once in place.
To make the transfer, the truck backs up to the trailer and locks a 2 pins in the trailer into 2 holes in the rear of the truck box, so everything is lined up for the transfer.
It is a good system for areas of limited access since only the truck needs to negotiate the access. A good operator can do the transfer in a couple of minutes to time isn't a real issue. In California, where the max GVW is 80,000 lbs., a transfer can carry 25 to 26 tons of material.
Hope this helps

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The transfer box is far better than a pup trailer anyday. You can take the truck with the transfer box in the truck's box anywhere. 52,200kgs (115,000) for a tandem axle truck with a 3 axle transfer or a quad axle you can gross 60,100 (133,000lbs). Your dump trucks in alberta must run a 26,100 gvw. A tandem axle pup and dump truck in B.C. is 43,100kgs (95,000lbs). A tridem axle pup don't steer worth a darn there is too much weight and too much rubber on the ground.

This is a 3 axle transfer

Attachments

• cdn_3_axletransfer1.jpg
    cdn_3_axletransfer1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 701

Noose

Occupation
I agree about the triaxle pups,
Right now I am looking for a cheaper way to expand, I know, I know Ya get what you pay for. But finances get maxed pretty quick startin' on your own!
An older tandem pup seems to be the option but all the older ones are still$20,000.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
If your on a limited buget a transfer will probably too expensive because you would have to invest in a transfer box on the truck a transfer box and trailer.

Keep searching you should find something you may even want to consider running two trucks.