• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pulling a Wagon-Type (Full) Trailer With A Lighter Truck

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am entertaining a business plan that might have me pulling a 4-wheel trailer similar to a transfer trailer loaded to about 40k with a single drive straight truck that only weighs about 32k. Is this a bad idea, or can it be done?

I see there is a local road oil company near here that seems to have one set up this way and I saw a tire service truck the other day pulling a short semitrailer with a converter dolly and it was going so slow, it had to be loaded, but other than that I have not seen this done.

Thanks
Birken

mtnview

Interested what others will say as I'm considering something similar. Going with a belly dump pup so I can pull it behind a single axle dump and not add hardly any weight to the back axle.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I've been kicking around a similar idea for a while now. No one around here runs pups. I can't really justify a triaxle truck but it would be nice to haul a bit more on some jobs. I'm not looking for quite as much capacity as the OP, but then again. What are your cost estimates for a small dump pup?