• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pull type compactor weight

WyoGuy

I'm considering purchasing an 8' wide roller/ compactor that was used at a local landfill. It's meant to be pulled behind another machine, it's two drums with large spikes on them on a frame with a single hitch.

I'm potentially buying without being able to see it in person. Does anyone know how much these things weigh? I'm trying to arrange losing and transport, but I don't know if it's 5,000 lbs or 20,000 lbs. Seller is no help, it's an auction company that doesn't have any information.

WyoGuy

Sheepsfoot roller. That's what I was trying to think of. It's a 48" diameter, 8' wide sheepsfoot with two drums side by side.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

WyoGuy. No way to know, it could vary widely depending on the build.

These rollers were typically weighted with water in the drums, I doubt a small roller like that would be over 10000 pounds dry.

Be aware they can soak up some HP. We had a larger one that when ballasted up made an Allis 21 or a D8h work.

Cheers.

Jonas302

I dont know the weight but it will go on a semi trailer with a ramp or a loading dock to push it on They are heavy and some can be filled with water for more weight dont bring to nice of a trailer they tend to tear them up

WyoGuy

No loading dock, ramp, or equipment available. It's 100% on the buyer to load and haul it.

If it's under 10K we should be okay for sure, I can take the pickup and the little gooseneck. The trailer has a 12k winch on it, if I use a snatch block it should roll on hopefully without too much trouble. We've got an old Cat 22 that we may pull it with.

Last edited:

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Those rollers are usually ballasted with a nonfreezing liquid, diesel fuel or waster oil, crack one of the drain plugs what you may have.
DO NOT FILL IT WITH WATER, it can freeze and split the roller apart.