• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pull lowboy with dumptruck

gwhammy

I saw a short video of a dumptruck pulling a tandem axle pintle fifth wheel with a lowboy hooked to it. It looked to be in another country. Is this something that can be done in the states? I was thinking a single axle with adjustable fifth wheel to put the right weight on the pintle. Is this a pipe dream? I just don't want another truck to license and insure for little use.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I believe small operators using a single axle truck usually need to multi purpose the truck. Usually this means a dump with pintle hitch. I have seen gooseneck in dump.

Legdoc

I see it all the time. A guy I know used a tandem dual binder to pull a lowboy with his TLB on it. He had a nice padded canvas cover make to protect the front glass on the hoe. Works great.

mitch504

It works. A lot of the California trucks I see are trucks pulling full trailers, which is the same thing. You will need tractor type air brakes on the truck.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
tandem dolly.jpg

I'm having a little trouble getting my headed wrapped around this. Are you wanting to hook one of these to a lowboy and pull it with a dump truck?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Something like this?

Dump with lowboy.jpg

I would imagine it would take a minute to learn how the rig would handle.

Legdoc

The guy I know uses a 20 ton tandem dual Eager Beaver trailer with pintle hitch directly to his International. No intermediate 5th wheel(whatever it is called) like bam1968 posted.

90plow

That trailer looks like the ultimate setup for an owner operator with only one truck. I wonder why they aren't more popular.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Extreme weight on the pintle would be my guess. It would take weight off the front and the dump truck couldn't carry any load. That might be OK. It might now.

The full trailer idea would be the opposite. You could haul a load of rock and your machine at the same time. But if the machine was loaded and the truck was empty there wouldn't be much traction.

movindirt

Its says in the ad it only had a GCW of 36k lbs. So I guess if you had a 120 size machine you were hauling around or maybe a 953 you could probably use that.

gwhammy

That's why I mentioned the single axle dolly. 17,000 on a single axle I believe in missouri, if you put the sliding fifth wheel ahead of the single axle I was thinking around 12 to 15 on the pintle and same on the axle. Say 30,000 total there would allow me to pull a 322 cat hoe with permit. I pull a 963 on a triple axle pintle now but that's all I want on it. 322 are around 55,000 I believe so you could balance it and the lowboy half on the front and half on the rear tandems. I don't work a real big area and it's mostly rural.

With the empty wt. of my truck at 22,000 if I had say 15,000 lb. pintle weight that would give me enough traction as it's not real hilly around hear. It's just a thought, I haven't bought the hoe yet but am dealing on it.

I have hauled my 63 and a load of gravel a few times grossing over 100,000. You just don't get in a hurry. This setup would put me at somewhere around the 90 to 95,000 lb. range which is doable with that many axles.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I worked with a fella that pulled one of those for PCI with a curbing machine on it. He said it was terribly heavy on the tongue to the point where you couldn't steer if it was wet. Great idea but cant put the weight where its supposed to be. The dolly system would be better but traction without weight on the drives would be tricky. At speed the dolly would be a disaster unless you could lock the 5th wheel.

lumberjack

What do you mean by locking the fifth wheel?

It seems quite similar in application (but not scale) to towing pup trailers.

Legdoc

The guy here used a set-up similar to the Load King on the link but it has a dove tail and ramps that hinge over the tail.

gwhammy

The pintle setup I have on my truck is rated up to 80,000 lbs. and 20,000 tongue weight. I've had around 15,000 tongue weight on it to be legal and my truck is long enough and the pintle is set as close to the back axle as I could set it that weight doesn't affect steering. Those dolly's pictured above are my thought but with a single axle and weight on the pintle. Having no weight on the pintle would make the truck to light on gravel roads I'm afraid. If it was all pavement a dolly like that would work.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have no personal experience with a set up like this but I think you might have problems while loading and unloading equipment in 'less than ideal' situations. For instance, if the truck, dolly and lowboy were not sitting in a straight line.....I think there is a chance that things could get real goofy pretty fast especially if it were setting on a downward incline. Like I said I have no personal experience so I might be completely off base. Just my $.02

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

I have never really thought about it . . . going way back we used to stick dollys under anything.

Why is a lowboy (as you folks call them) with a machine on it any different to a dog loaded with gravel?

This setup is common enough . . . I have seen a three trailer rig pulling two Hi-track D8's and a large JD grader . . . .

Road-Train-2.jpg

Cheers.

still learn'n

The difference I would see from a lowboy to the pics that cm1995 and scrub posted would be is they have ramps since as you all know a lowboy gooseneck detaches if you had a dolly and pulled forward how would you be able to back backup straight and hook back up to the trailer? Far off idea maybe but could a section of frame be made with a fifth wheel on it that would have a steerable axle on it that would have 2 pins to pin it on the back of the dump truck kind of like a pin on axle on the back of lowboy to attach and detach quickly? Jerry

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Sorry folks.

Talking out of turn again . . . never even thought. I just can't get my head around detachable goosenecks. As I have mentioned I have never seen one or envisioned a situation where one would be useful.

Cheers.