• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

prorate truck or just purchase comercial plates

mitch504

I don't think you are allowed to run multiple plates anymore. I know you can't run NC, SC that way anymore. I believe the federales have eliminated that option.

mitch504

There are exemptions that I am not up on for recreational use only trucks; but if you are intending to do this for business use it takes a heck of a lot more than an IFTA permit.

IFTA is International Fuel Tax Agreement, it only covers how the states devide up your fuel taxes. In order to get apportioned plates you must first get a USDOT number, and an MC number. In order to get an MC# you must have the appropriate insurance filings, and process agents in any state you intend to run in. Then you apply to the FMCSA for operating authority. Once you have proof that you have applied for an MC# you can get apportioned plates. You must also register w/ UCR, which is the Universal Carrier Registration system; it seems to me to be only money you send them, but there is a big fine for crossing state lines w/o it. After you do all this, and more, w/in 18 months you will be audited to see if you have all your driver, vehicle, safety and maintenance records done correctly. They don't seem to care if you really have brake shoes on your truck, just if you have a form that says you do.

The easiest thing to do is hire a service that will get all this for you, but then you still have to fill out all the reports.

Enjoy entering the world of interstate trucking, And have FUN!!!

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
I agree with Mitch, get a permit service to take care of this. You have to get apportioned tags, ifta permits, plus you have to keep track of each mile driven in each st. It is a real nightmare.

Raildudes dad

I assumed he had his truck registered properly for intrastate operation in SD and was now going out of state :eek:. I can only speak from my personal experience in MI but I did provide him the link for SD info. All trucks in MI are required to have a USDOT number. I see from the chart that in SD, it's optional. I don't operate commercially so I'm not required to have an operating authority (MC number) in MI.

IFTA is the apportionment process for fuel tax in MI, 47 other states and 10 provinces according to the MI website. You will need to report how many miles traveled in each state, your mileage for your vehicle or fleet and and calculate the additional tax due or credit for states traveled in (And send them a check if there's anything due.) You need to keep records of fuel purchases to document how much you purchased and that you paid the taxes. If you're only going out of state occasionally, you can get individual trip IFTA permits - 3 quarters w/o out of state travel, and they cancel your IFTA permit.

Again, my experience is in MI, but I obtained my USDOT number on line and my IFTA permit application on line without an agent.