• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Programming ecm

nowing75

I'm working on a cat 740 haul truck that will not start and the hours do not display on the dash. I have checked the power and grounds and the cat bus and can bus. The codes are for communications error and I'm pretty sure it's the trans ecm. Do you guys program the new one yourself or just let cat do it. It's something I have never done but thinking it's something I need to learn. I hate having to call in the professionals at cat.

Cmark

First, you need the correct ET license. The customer version won't let you program ECMs, you need a dealer or factory license. Then you need the correct flash file. They used to be on CD ROM which were widely available. Now, the latest flash files are an internet download available only to dealers. If you can overcome these hurdles, implement and tranny ECMs are usually fairly straightforward. Flashing engines can be a bit more tricky and you will sometimes need factory passwords to reprogram the various parameters.

Engines don't generally need much input to be able to run, just powers and grounds to the appropriate pins on the ECM, fuel and cranking. Can you actually "see" the engine ECM in ET? What makes you thing the tranny ECM is causing an issue?

nowing75

I don't get the output that goes to the start solenoid from the trans ECM on my powers and grounds are good I can bus is good but the dash is not getting information from the ECM

nowing75

I had cat come out and found the the trans ecm lost the s/n some how.once he put that in dash came alive and starts right up. I learn something new everyday.I have the dealer soft wear so i need to look into it as I hate having to call cat.

Cmark

Lost the serial number? That's unusual. Are you sure it didn't lose the FLS and FTS settings instead which is more common? I've had it occur on excavators but not on a truck before.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We had an IMT drill do some crazy stuff and had Cat come fix it. Ecm went snafuy, display wouldn't work, wouldn't idle up or do anything other than start and idle. Their explanation was lightning strike......

nowing75

I'm pretty sure he just put the s/n in. I remover seating that it was not there. It would say generic next to the trans ecm. The battery was dead and cat guy said maybe there is an internal bat that is dead.