• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Problem with TD15C Transmission

duramax2004

I have an older TD15C......seems once it's started, it will move about 30 feet and stop.....going through other gears makes no difference. When running in neutral, the drive shaft spins. I have pulled both filters and they are clean. Just seems like it looses the prime on the pump? I'm about frustrated with it....runs great, just know I'm not capable of pulling transmission. Any help would be appreciated. I hate to scrap it. Thank you.

Mike Legg

Occupation
Retired But Still Working
Might post over on "Red Power". Someone over there probably can help you with the problem. I'm sure they will request more information than what you have given.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Does the drive shaft spin when the transmission is engaged in any gear forward or reverse?

John C.

Occupation
Does the drive shaft turn at all when you have the brakes locked up in any gear forward or reverse? I am assuming your machine does not have the transmission pressure gauge on the dash panel. You may need to obtain a gauge and check drive train pressures.

duramax2004

Does the drive shaft turn at all when you have the brakes locked up in any gear forward or reverse? I am assuming your machine does not have the transmission pressure gauge on the dash panel. You may need to obtain a gauge and check drive train pressures.
It does have a gauge and seems to be within operating indications. It really has me baffled. With the brakes applied it will stop spinning the drive shaft. If it sits for awhile it will move the small distance, but won't do anything after that. Initially you think things are fine, but after the short movement......nothing? You can barely feel it want to engage in the gear you shift it into......not enough zip to move it though? Think the suction lines could be a problem?

John C.

Occupation
What is the pressure gauge show while you are doing this?

duramax2004

What is the pressure gauge show while you are doing this?
Sorry it’s taken so long to get back. I finally started it up today and I don’t have a number type gage. It has the gage that just shows run when it is in the green area. It’s normal with this reading? The filters are clean. When you first start in idle, the drive shaft spins as it should but will slow down after it runs awhile. You can throttle it up and it will spin normal, but when you put it in gear it engages in gear but the drive shaft stops. Just barely moves a short distance. Do you think it’s the torque converter?

John C.

Occupation
Hold the brake on like you don't want the machine to move and then put it in gear. The drive shaft should stop completely. Let up the brake and the drive line should move as the machine moves.

If the torque converter has a problem it will overheat in short order. What happens when you put it in gear and go to steer it in one direction or the other?

duramax2004

Holding the brake and putting it in gear the drive shaft does not spin. When released it does spin, it won't move very far at this point. It really doesn't move far enough to really get it turning......loses movement. Is there an external pump on the transmission? Lines I'm over looking? In the past when I was running it a lot, if I ever saw the transmission go above the normal heat range, I always shut it down and let it cool off. Never really had issues, added fluid every now and then, but not excessive. I appreciate your advice. Look forward to hearing from you.

Dave Neubert

Sounds like low convertor inlet pressure I don't have a book on this one find out how to check convertor inlet and outlet pressures

John C.

Occupation
The failure mode for a torque converter is over heating or lots of aluminum showing up in the transmission oil. That doesn't sound like your problem.

Will either track turn if you pull the steering lever when you have the transmission in gear? It kind of sounds like something in the transmission, cross shaft or a final drive is broke.

DB09

There is a charge pump on the bottom of the transmission that puts oil pressure to clutch packs inside the transmission and they will go bad at times. I would check that first. It will cause them to not move.

duramax2004

There is a charge pump on the bottom of the transmission that puts oil pressure to clutch packs inside the transmission and they will go bad at times. I would check that first. It will cause them to not move.
Thank you. I will see if I can get some pics too. I hate to have to remove belly pans......again! Got to do it!

duramax2004

The failure mode for a torque converter is over heating or lots of aluminum showing up in the transmission oil. That doesn't sound like your problem.

Will either track turn if you pull the steering lever when you have the transmission in gear? It kind of sounds like something in the transmission, cross shaft or a final drive is broke.
Hey John.....I changed the O-Ring on the suction filter housing and it seemed to do better. It was flatter than a pancake, so I may have been loosing something there. I can crank it up, idle up and PTO spins as it should. I can move it and shift though gears.....both forward and reverse. If it slacks in movement, I can stop and rev it up, put back in gear and she will move. I can turn both ways while in motion. My next problem is if you put a load under it.....she will move very little. I still think I may be losing suction on the pump? What are your thoughts? What should I look into next?

John C.

Occupation
It has been years since I’ve been into one of those machines and I don’t remember where the pump is for sure. Can you follow any pipes or hoses to the pump? Suction leaks are a pain. You are to the point of having to confirm pressures with a known good gauge.

lantraxco

If the driveshaft stops when under load, then the problem is definitely in the torque converter/flywheel area. If the oil pressure doesn't drop then I think the front end is all turning because the pump is putting out.

lantraxco

It has been years since I’ve been into one of those machines and I don’t remember where the pump is for sure. Can you follow any pipes or hoses to the pump? Suction leaks are a pain. You are to the point of having to confirm pressures with a known good gauge.
I think the pump is mounted on the back of the converter case?