• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Probe test light with digital meter

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Way back in 2003 I had an idea to take two tools, a DC probe test light and a Digital Voltage tester, and combine them into one tool. But me not being an electrical engineer I didn't know how to rig up the digital meter in the tool. So I drew up the concept on paper including the features and operation of the tool along with a drawing of how the tool would be made and submitted the information via confidential tool submission to Lisle Tools in Iowa. After a few weeks I received a reply from Lisle stating that they weren't capable of making that tool. That was in July of 2003. I got busy with life and the tool idea just went to sleep.

Fast forward to 2015. A couple of weeks ago I came home and saw an envelope from Lisle had came in the mail. I knew immediately what it would be about. Sure enough, times have progressed, Lisle has since expanded their manufacturing capabilities and is adding products. They had noticed other tool makers producing similar products and decided to produce and market these tools themselves. At that point they went back and checked their files to see if someone had submitted info that matched this product. And there it was, my file describing this tool complete with drawings from 12 years ago. Given this, they are going to award me a small cut of the net sales of the product for the next ten years as a reward for the idea. I'm told the tool will be available for the market in the coming weeks, hopefully the orders will come in. So if you guys decided to purchase one of these tools make sure you pick up the Lisle test probe and you'll be putting a few pennies in my pocket. :cool:

The tester will test DC voltage from 3 to 49 volts. It's self powered by the voltage source being tested, doesn't require an internal battery. When you place the probe on Pos + and the clamp on Neg it lights up read and reads the voltage on the LCD display. If you place the probe on Neg with the clamp on Pos it lights up green and shows - voltage on the display.

DC test probe (2).jpg

Probe on Positive, lights up red along with voltage on meter

DC test probe (1).jpg

Probe on Negative, lights up green along with voltage on meter

DC test probe (3).jpg

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Needs a button that will load that circuit with a few amps..
Great idea thou..I'd buy one if they're sold in Canada

Jonas302

I need a couple of those let us know when they come on the market and a part #

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Great idea thou..I'd buy one if they're sold in Canada

I don't know about Canada, but it will be sold at any place that sells Lisle tools, which is pretty much any auto parts in the US. Of course it depends on if a given store decides to order and stock the item on their Lisle rack, but they could always order them if not. They're actually making two tools, this one is what they call their "house brand" which will be sold to all Lisle vendors, but their making another one that tests from 3 to 28 volts that will be exclusive to one of the big three tool truck brands, I just don't know which one. I'll get the part number and post it tomorrow. :)

Wytruckwrench

That's a way good deal!
I have been hooked on the power probe, have one in each truck and the shop.
Have always thought there should be a cheaper alternative , looks like you nailed it!

excavator

Good job Willie. I've often wondered if the tool companies actually look at the ideas that get sent to them. It only took 12 years and I'm sure your not going to retire on the royalties but I'll buy one to help out.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Good job Willie. I've often wondered if the tool companies actually look at the ideas that get sent to them. It only took 12 years and I'm sure your not going to retire on the royalties but I'll buy one to help out.

I can't recall because it was so many years ago, but seems I tried the same with at least one of the tool truck brands but didn't work out, can't recall the details. But with Lisle, you fill out their "confidential submission" forms, include sketches/drawings and working models if possible, submit the forms/documents, and they treat it as a confidential contract. If they take your idea and build it, you're on board with them according to the contract. If they can't, as was the case in 2003 with me, they still hold to their confidential contract. Likewise, even when they look into a new tool, they look back through their files to see if the idea was previously submitted, which was the case here. I consider Lisle a straight up company for doing this and honoring their contracts. And yes, I don't know if it will generate enough revenue to retire on because it's a single digit reward, but no worries, I'm just cheered to have the tool that I dreamed of having 12 years ago. :)

Last edited:

wornout wrench

If they show up in my part of the world I will definitely buy one.
Snapoff makes something similar but I am not paying that much this late in my career:eek:

Good for you Willie, love to see it when things like this happen.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Great idea! I would like one also. Will save breaking out and unfurling the multimeter everytime I need to check voltage.

FSERVICE

willie I knew you were way ahead of your time!!! look at it this way the gave you a free tool you had thought up, even if you only get the tool its still something to be proud of;) not many can say the have done that!! congrats!! I will buy 1 as soon as I see it here..

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
willie I knew you were way ahead of your time!!! look at it this way the gave you a free tool you had thought up, even if you only get the tool its still something to be proud of;) not many can say the have done that!! congrats!! I will buy 1 as soon as I see it here..
He just didn't get the bill yet:)
Nice going.Ron G

kenh

Great idea! Glad you will see something out of it.
Many company's would not bother.
Snap-on is proud of theirs, $ 80.00. Probably be available from China later for $2.95!