• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Preventing Theft

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
I am in a situation (for the first time) that I have to leave equipment at an off-site location for an extended period.

This site is known for kids coming out and messing with stuff.
I have 2, 580K's and an L

We take the batteries out to prevent the 'general' kid from starting them but how can I disable a machine prevent a 'Man' from starting it easily???

Bolan

there is a wire attached to the injector pump.disconnect it and hide it.it will not start.our 580 L has it.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
it's to bad it comes down to that for a job, its hard to sleep at night wondering if your machine will be there, or at least be there in once piece when you get there in the morning.

Bolan

it's to bad it comes down to that for a job, its hard to sleep at night wondering if your machine will be there, or at least be there in once piece when you get there in the morning.

yes so right..mostly kids with us..smash windows..steal the antenna..someone even took a dump on the seat of our 963.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
yea i've had windows smashed, On the excavators I have sheetmetal that goes over the windows. One time I had someone put dirt in all my fuel tanks on a job. That someones verrryyy lucky I didn't catch them because they'd be going thru the crusher and end up on some highway as crusher run.

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
I've had lights shot with BB guns on machines and trailers.

Back in the 80's I had this 13 year old lay a TLB over on its side and scared him so bad he wouldn't get off the machine!! Some one called the police and he was still on the machine when I got there. This one hurt me bad, it broke a rod off and something cause the oil pump wasn't getting any oil.

I hope he was scared straight and that's one less to worry about.

Z24O

speaking of barbeques
i once saw a bobcat on site that someone had poured petrol in the engine bay through the ventilated engine cover then set it alight,the machine was totalled as all the hydraulic oil and diesel started a furnace.....but then i guess you didn't really want to hear that
i always used to hire a 20 foot container on site jobs and lock all my gear in it,cheap peace of mind in the long run as the container hire was less than a days downtime.....not to mention the nightmare factor :eek:
what about erecting a mesh fence compound with some barbed wire on top,will keep away 99.9% of wankers

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
yes so right..mostly kids with us..smash windows..steal the antenna..someone even took a dump on the seat of our 963.

We arrived on the job one day to find that some kids threw a rock through the side window of the D5G and smeared "grease" all over the glass on the left front door. Went to clean the "grease" off the window while waiting for the Police to show up. Well ... the "grease" was not grease - yup, the sick little perverts took a dump in the cul-de-sac, rubbed it on the windows and then threw the rock through the side glass. The rock inside the cab had poop all over it!:pointhead :throwup

I have found out the wealthier the neighborhood you are working - the more likely you will have vandalism. Theft seems to happen everywhere and it's getting worse.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Spent a few nights in the motor home just outside the job site watching over everything. Also if the work is to be done in a neighborhood that has a problem we eather move equipment out every night or make the home owner/general contractor or whoever is responsible pay for a night watchman. 1 broken window will cost as much as keeping someone on site over night.

If you have a CB set in your equipment and are within range. Try this.
Key the mike and tape it on, buy a simple motion detector, (the ones that sence viberation @ radio shack less then $20.00) put it in the ground wire ckt. when motion is detected it will turn the cb and send out a signal on the channel you pick. There are other alarm devices that use cell phone freq. that call a number you inter.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I was working on a job at a school digging trenches. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my backhoe overnight despite the fact that there was a night watchman. Another worker left a brand new bobcat overnight and the next morning it was completely tagged. Some little gangbanger slipped in and painted the heck out of it and the watchman never new it. The owner was really upset. I sure was glad I made the choice I did.

Bolan

I was working on a job at a school digging trenches. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my backhoe overnight despite the fact that there was a night watchman. Another worker left a brand new bobcat overnight and the next morning it was completely tagged. Some little gangbanger slipped in and painted the heck out of it and the watchman never new it. The owner was really upset. I sure was glad I made the choice I did.

yea we had nightwatchmen before..was kinda a joke since they do it anyway..

white_boyz1

theft of all thefts!!!!!!!

I was on a large subdivision job wrapping up some curb work on a friday evening,upon arriving at work on saturday to notice my caterpillar 416c missing,first ride around and try to find it in the new sub.no luck.so decided to ride around the old subs around where i was working.found a nice trail of mud leading out of the new sub,found the machine behind a mans house about a block or so away.called the police and they came out and had a different idea on how to catch the guy.1 knock on his door and see if he wants to do some backhoe work on the side.wife answers and tells me hes not home come back at 4:30 and he will be gladly to give me a price. 2. come back at 430 withs cops in hiding.3 aask if interested in doing some work for me and he replied sure be glad too!!!4.answer call on cell phone from police and detectives and the rest of the story ends like this.5 gets arrested for unaurthoized use of a moveable over 85000 :guns ,and is sentenced to 5years in jail!!!!!!!how you like those results.....:guns :guns :thumbsup

busdrivernine

can not believe that somebody form Springhill La would do such a thing as steal a loader probabley some International paper worker just wanting to moon light a little for a bit of extra pocket change :beatsme LOL

Loaderman380

Occupation
Operator for an underground utility company
5 gets arrested for unaurthoized use of a moveable over 85000 :guns ,and is sentenced to 5years in jail!!!!!!!how you like those results.....:guns :guns :thumbsup

The guy got nothing less than he deserved!

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
Site Security

The best peace of mind we have is a Guard and shotgun. We've tried Lighting, disable switches, and Cell operated Motion alarms. Serious investments means serious theft prevention.

RUDY

thieft

there is a wire attached to the injector pump.disconnect it and hide it.it will not start.our 580 L has it.

Where would the fuel injector wire be on a 580B
I'm also looking for a Case 580B Backhoe manual if anyone has one or knows where to get one.

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
The wire referred to is a feature of newer models, that shut the engine off when you turn the key switch off. You won't find one on a 580B, or any model that has a "pull to shut off" knob.