1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Preventing Corrosion on Equpiment

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by River Hill, Feb 14, 2006.

1. River Hill

River Hill Charter Member

A good friend of mine is getting ready to purchase a new skid steer for snow removal. Most of the skid steers we see that have been used for snow removal have a great deal of corrosion on them. This is due to part snow removal operations as well as the trailering of the equipment and the salt spray on the roads. Besides trying to take a pressure washer to the skid steer after every storm, do you guys have any ideas how to best protect equipment from corrosion? I have seen guys who pressure wash after every storm, but the salt always finds a place to hide, for example in engine compartments

2. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Washing, maybe some rust inhibitor of some sort like some car washes have.

3. CascadeScaper

CascadeScaper Senior Member

2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
    What I would do is undercoat the belly pan of the machine with automotive undercoating and try your best to keep the rest of the machine as clean as possible. At least with the undercoating you're taking care of the places that are tough to clean so all you have to worry about is the side of the machine.

4. skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca Well-Known Member

Contractor
    I just use an undercoating sprayer, hook it to your compressor and paint a coat of used oil all over the steel of the machine, wash it off in the spring.
    Avoid rubber and glass areas
    Ken

5. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Or I have heard of using diesel to, but that could be a little costly now a days.

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    This stuff is very good, its like INOX or WD40 only it lasts longer. We use it on attachments when they are out of action for a week or two. They even treat ships hulls and propellers with it.

http://www.lanoguard.co.nz/

Don't know wether it is available in the States.

7. Smalley360

Smalley360 Member

I know this thread is old but I came across something that might be helpful for corosion. I am restoring a 48 chevy truck as well as my 1968 Smalley 360 excavator and found that a product called Jasco prep and primer solution found at Ace hardware stores works great for stopping rust and converting it back to metal. I put the liquid in a yard weed sprayer and spray the machine down all over and in all nooks and crannys. If I see rust anywhere I just rub or spray it on and it stops the rust for quite a long time. I have exposed steel that i did not primer with the jasco on it and it lasted 6 plus months in the Hawaii salt air before it started to get surface rust again.
    Let me know if any of you have tried this. I really like it. Hope this helps.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen Well-Known Member

9. Smalley360

Smalley360 Member

itsgottobegreen - "www.fluidfilm.com a snow plowers best friend"

If that is so then you snow plow guys must do a lot of ballet dancing when it snows or something!:bouncegri

I tried the web site above but it directs me to a dance school.:eek:

10. tylermckee

tylermckee Senior Member

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

11. Rocket

Rocket Active Member

I was brought to a science producer's site. Cool video on fiber optics.

Fluid Film can be purchased at John Deere or online. There are a few distributors on the LTS forum.