• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Premature wear in sand applications

dragonlady

case tr270 is used in sand and sprockets,sometimes rubber tracks, have to be replaced every 6 months. other then how it is being driven, are there any heavier duty options for sprockets to longer use?

Welder Dave

Sand is the worst thing on sprockets, especially a CTL that can move so quickly. Maybe worn sprockets could be build up with hardfacing before they're totally shot.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How many hours of use during the 6 months?

dragonlady

1ST TIME WE REPLACED BOTH SPROCKETS AND TRACKS AT 430HRS, 2ND TIME WE REPLACED SPROCKETS AT 613, NOW WE ARE LOOKING AT TRACKS AND SPROCKETS AT PROBABLY NO MORE THEN 200HRS.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What brand of tracks and sprockets are you buying?

Some of the Chinese/Asian tracks are crap. I've burned through the cheap ones $1200 or so a piece in 200-300 hours. The Bridgestone's that came on my 279D new two years ago are at 60% at 600 hrs.

I'll spend double the money and buy Bridgestone or a well know manufacturer from now on.

sealark37

Occupation
Retired pilot, old equipment mechanic
Wet sand is the worst. Top quality parts will help lower the per hour cost. Service in the coal pile is the best in terms of wear. Almost unbelievable undercarriage life