• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PQ Controllers

barklee

thanks, We have that optimizer what a pain in the @ss. We bought the tb44 new and it was still plugged into the port! The 110 uses this as well. Alexander equipment in Chicago has them. Have you had to get parts for these machines lately. They are getting to be a expensive as Grove lifts. Plus nobody at Genie wants to deal with you on the terex lifts. We replaced the boom cable in the 110 footer (bird nested inside the boom and trashed the cable) ended up getting it from Cetex because Genie couldnt even find the part we wanted.

barklee

also, Genie cant find the hub seals in there system (i have the part numbers!) so i dont know what to do about that short of going to bearing dist. and matching them all up

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah, Genie is getting a little goofy since they merged with Terex. All the Genie guys I used to deal with have moved on. The guy who knew the most about the Terex unit, name was Marty something, has since retired. I like Genie units, their wiring and schematics are top notch, but they are getting a little strange to work with. JLG sucks in that you can't deal directly with the factory anymore, but JLG supports their machines really well. If you have a good dealer to work with, it's far easier to work with a JLG machine than a Genie seems like nowdays. I called an outfit called aerial service and parts in Shippensburg PA for years about aerial parts. They're not far from JLG factory. They have since been bought out by Best Line Equipment in PA, but I still deal with same parts folks, Eric and Jeremy. They are really good to work with. Bummer is, Eric is nearing retirement age. Uggg!

barklee

Marty Visser.... he is freakin terex genious. You work at a dealer or are you a dealer? I had a aerial mechanic friend that was working on all my stuff and he was fired for it! I felt really bad and still do. Ruined the friendship, but now i have been dealing with United rental in Cincinnati and they are very good. Found a mechanic im comfortable with on his billing hours and there rates are a bit better if you are a repeat customer. My skill level is a parts changer with a very little bit of trouble shooting ability. I just found that i wasted so much time trying to figure out whats wrong with this junk and not always getting anywhere. Seems to work out better if i cant figure out whats wrong right away or if i know whats wrong and dont think i can do it. I really enjoy working on equipment (better than working on the jobs) but its tough when you have downtime and need the stuff working now.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, that's him. Last I heard, he has retired and no longer with Genie/Terex. :Banghead

Sounds like you are working on a good relationship with United Rental. If they have some good aerial mechanics, keep using them, and pay your bills promplty. If you do this, as time goes by, you'll be put at the top of the list when you ring their phone, sort of a preferred customer. As for simple stuff, the more you work on your machines, the more familiar you get with them, learn their quirks and traits. For the hard stuff or repairs needed in a hurry, call United. I have been working on aerials for different companies since the mid 80's. Haven't worked on every model out there, but enough of them to know how they work. Went through the JLG factory, that was a blast! Anytime you have a problem with one, start a thread about it. There's a handfull of us here that have experience with aerial lifts, might be able to help you out. Aside from all this, sure with I could get back to Cincinnati, I'd love to have some ribs from Walts Hitchin Post. :D

Snorkel issues

That's a nice fleet of stuff!

You mean 80HX+6? Those are tough machines. Never worked on an Altec boom truck. Worked on plenty of Altec digger derricks and bucket trucks. Your small Terex TB lifts, are they the models that require the "optimizer" to adjust controllers? We have a TB42 that the swing needs adjusting. I found out you need that 800 some dollar optimizer to make adjustments. Man...that BS!
Willie I seen your front Tennessee was wondering if you know of any boomlift mechanic in tn