• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Power inverters

dabsfabs

Just a quick one?

How do most of guys with service trucks or van wire up the battery powered inverters, what sort of fuse size and capable size do you use do when direct fitting them to batteries. As new service van I got one set up in it.

The bloke done who the van before me was thought out well but poorly fitted so tidying it up for the return to work next week.

The inverter is 2000 watt.

Any feed back would be good thank you.

Dave

Shimmy1

I have a 1500 watt in my truck for running TV, coffee pot, etc. I used 2-0 battery cable. I did a little quick research for you, a 2000 watt inverter could potentially draw 200 amps. When I do something, I like to prepare for worst case. That being said, 3-0 is what it calls for, but nobody (at least here in ND) carries it. 4-0 would be the best, but you would probably be fine with 2-0. Also, before anybody starts getting worked up over why would you use these big, heavy wires, when I got my truck, the inverter was powered with 1 ga. wire, was constantly kicking out. Most inverters have a low voltage shut-off, if your cables can't keep up, it will think the battery is dead.

sheepfoot

I have one in my home, same as used in the large sleepers on a road tractor. Due to storms I have a small door in the foundation with two 1.0 cables 15' long that I just pull up beside and hook on to, it puts power inside quick. My main power pulls off one of a three phase service, it seems like it drops a phase ( the one I am on often). I have a large stand-by gen that hooks up quick if needed but most of the time the power co is here pretty fast for the business it serves. Most trucks use 1.0/2.0 cable and no fuses, straight to the battery.