• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Post Hole Auger For A Mini X

Danny Steel

Occupation
Farmer/Landscaper/Welder/Fitter
Hey guys, I have used a Auger on my tractor for years
I now want to use one on my 3 toner x
Whats your Input on them mounted to a Mini X, And what brand did you use.
Is It possible to drill 36" holes for trees?:)
Any Picture of your Mini Drill?

Thanks

Dan Steel

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I have one on my bobcat 435, and bobcat 442, works great. I bought the attachment from bobcat.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
A 36" hole is more than do-able. But I'll add this; depending on the type of soil/rock you have to work with, a 36" auger takes a good bit of torque, not something I would advise doing with a "cheap" auger drive. IMO, one of the best auger drives out there is the Danuser planetary auger drive, they are tough as nails. :)

Danny Steel

Occupation
Thanks guys, we do have alot of rocks up here, Thats why I like to drill my fence posts, Instead of useing the pounder....Lots of small to big bolders, And when you drive a post ,And It hits a rock, the post Is now way outa wack:bash.

The Auger part Is no problem for me, I use to build big Augers with up to
1-1/2" Flighting and solid 4" - 10" Shafts.......... but that was way back:drinkup

All the post holes I drill are with a 6400 JD , But that get real aukward.

I do have a small ls 150 NH Skid Steer, And I was thinking of putting a auger on that, Maybe I can use the same post holes auger ,and swap It back and forth to the mini X:beatsme

The main thing I need Is the Drill head Itself, And need to find a good one.

I do think a Auger On a Mini X would be the Cats Azz, Being able to swing around a drill a bunch of hole while sitting In one spot....A'm I on the right track?:cool2

Danny
North West Ontario

Last edited:

Hendrik

With that size drill you may need to drill pilot holes to keep the big auger on track, not a big deal if it just for tree planting but in construction you need to be able to put the hole where the hole is supposed to be.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The main thing I need Is the Drill head Itself, And need to find a good one.

We've been selling the Danuser planetary drive auger drive unit for several years now, they're dang near bullet proof. I've been around them for over four years now and have yet to see even one of their auger drives come back with a warranty issue. You can click on the "how to buy" link at the top of the page and find a dealer in your area, even Ontario. Top notch units. :)

http://www.danuser.com/products/hydraulic_diggers/8900.htm

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I do think a Auger On a Mini X would be the Cats Azz, Being able to swing around a drill a bunch of hole while sitting In one spot....A'm I on the right track?:cool2

Once you run an auger on a mini-x for fence posts, you won't put it back on a skid. I have a McMillan that we fab'd up a bracket up to fit on the Xchange on my Bobcat 334. It's real basic, the auger free hangs with the same pin that attaches it to a quick tach skid steer mount.

Ran the auger for a few years, doing fences mostly, on the skid and once I was able to put on the mini, it was a world of difference. Much better ability to position the auger flight, less ground disturbance due to not having to re-position the skid and all around easier to operate.

I have also heard good things about the Danuser brand and if ATCO says it's good, it's gotta be.:thumbsup

TomG

We have used an Auger a few times on our 331. We don't own one, we just rent it when needed. We use the Bobcat brand auger and it works great, you can get almost any size bit for it including 36". Here is a picture and a video of me using it to dig sonotubes next to a pool on a slope. It worked great!YouTube - Using an Auger

Attachments

• asvadv.jpg
    asvadv.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,591

Bluestone1

I have a Bobcat auger for my 341 mini that I can swap with my Bobcat skid steer. Works super nice. 36" bit is not a problem. We've drilled hundreds of light pole bases this year. They were all 6' deep and no problem. We prefer to run it on the mini vs. the skid steer actually.

upnover

Occupation
Consultant
Quick questions on the auger topic:

Is there any difference in buying an auger with the hex style shaft vs the round. I would think hex would be the better way to go but am I wrong?

Also if I am using the foot switch attachment on my mini how do I reverse the auger or can I. Or do I plumb into the circuit that operates the thumb?

Danny Steel

Occupation
Quick questions on the auger topic:

Is there any difference in buying an auger with the hex style shaft vs the round. I would think hex would be the better way to go but am I wrong?

Also if I am using the foot switch attachment on my mini how do I reverse the auger or can I. Or do I plumb into the circuit that operates the thumb?

With the hex drive, all the torque Is on the auger itself......The round mount, all the torque Is on the bolt, or pin that attaches the auger to the motor. you plumb In where the thumb hooks up.

hvy 1ton

The round auger drives are for PTO applications. That way, if the auger runs into trouble the shear pin will protect the driveline.

WV earth mover

have one on a cx 31B weighs about 7000 lb has drilled around 500 24'' but never tried any bigger manufactor said it would do 36 '' the brand is premier

Revicm

Occupation
Contractor
We've been selling the Danuser planetary drive auger drive unit for several years now, they're dang near bullet proof. I've been around them for over four years now and have yet to see even one of their auger drives come back with a warranty issue. You can click on the "how to buy" link at the top of the page and find a dealer in your area, even Ontario. Top notch units. :)

http://www.danuser.com/products/hydraulic_diggers/8900.htm

Yes, Danuser are the top of the line for auger heads. I had a couple of chain drives that my grandfather and father used for years. Bought a new planetary drive for the 110 mini backhoe last year. Danusers will last longer then the machine you put them on.:) I bought mine through the local New Holland dealer.

Danny Steel

Occupation
Yes, Danuser are the top of the line for auger heads. I had a couple of chain drives that my grandfather and father used for years. Bought a new planetary drive for the 110 mini backhoe last year. Danusers will last longer then the machine you put them on.:) I bought mine through the local New Holland dealer.

Thats good to know.....I still have this project on my list of things i have to do someday

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Im in the same boat I like to build my equipment as most implemnts are too high here even used. Not that its too high but I do little work for the public now. Mosth things Il lbe using around the place or doing work for a few of my friend companies. About 5 years ago I was at an auction from a macinery repair shp. I bought 3 lots of hydraulic motors there. One pile had a a gear type motor that was connected to a Fairfield Torque Hub planetary with a gear on the bottom like a swing box that was Cat Yellow. I left it on a shelf in the shop then one day I pulled off the motor. It was locked up and my build all Hydraulics man told me I didnt have enough flow to runthat motor with lines 3 times bigger than my skids lines. It was what was locked up. turned the gear at the bottom of the planetary and it all felt right. I looked at the internal splines and thought another motor I got at the sale was the same splines. I slid it in and it worked but the shaft was too long. I started to cut it down but I wanted to use it on some thing for a temp use.

I got to thinking about the Planetary and the gear at the bottom. I was having trouble going through with the adaptation, I though theres some poor sob was looking for one like it lol. That all changed one day I had to dig a post hole for a pole at the greenhouse. After hand digging about 3 feet deep I was decided I would make my digger. I made a spacer and adapter for the motor and got them ready. Im making my swivel mounts for it right now. I removed the pinion gear off the bottom. and couldnt figure a good way to attach the bits.

M y late neighbor gave me a NOS Pengo bit off an old Army Auger truck. Vicious 12 inch toothed auger. It had a 2.5 ID square hole. The 2.5 tubes's I D will snugly fit the splined shaft on the gear box. I will bore a 3/4 hole in the shaft like the Pengo has. I dont know if I can drill it in my CHina boat anchor mill. Or my drill press. Ithink I know a tool shop that has a sinker EDM machine I can burn a hole through. THe auger is only 30 inches long at the most so the 2.5 tubing adapter will make it about 4 feet. I know it will only that the torque of the shear pin but I have a friend with a 540 PTO auger that he aften runs in 36 inch round shank bits in the the clay here for foundations 36 inches deep at full speed.

I think other than the hoses I will have about 50 bucks inthe hole thing. I figure if the low torque motor and and that boxk could swing a 215/225 Cat excavator it will be able to drill some 12 and 24 inch holes.

mitch504

Not that it matters, but the swing gear for a 215 is not planetary. It is a spur geared gearbox that weighs about 800lbs and has offset drive and is about 32" in diameter. I think the 225 is similar if I remember right.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Well then I dont know what Ive got then lol I kinda thought it was a bit small for a swing motor on a 215. They had one parted out in back. This place mostly worked on Cat stuff and the paint was cat yellow. Well now i really dont feel bad about making a digger from it lol Another thing is the housing had a fitting run down to the lower part there was a little brake in their that had been backed off.

Last edited: