• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Portable press

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
View attachment 171285 View attachment 171284Built this after I did a job Where I had to make one from scrap I had on the truck. Found the porta power and 50 ton cylinder on Craig's list for $300. One of my customers called and said they bent a fork and if I had a way to straighten in the field.

You're not telling me you got that pump and cylinder for $300.00 are you?

I would feel very guilty all the way back to my truck and drive fast before someone changed his mind!

still learn'n

I would like a c press so I could press out pins up against something where a double post press wouldn't fit. How do you guys decide how tough to make it? Guess and if it bends some reinforce it?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Mine was done simply by what I had lying around. I suppose I could sit down and do the calculations to determine what section modulus I needed for a given tonnage capacity, then add a safety factor. But it's more fun to watch for deflecting material haha. I suppose I could plug in what I have for material and determine the working capacity of it. I pressed a top roller apart awhile back and I stood to the side once the handle got hard to pump..... I don't think I'd stick my larger cylinders in it.

The one on mine is probably a 15 ton just guessing. I hauled a press years ago and the cylinder/hand pump was left up top. I found it when I climbed up to pad the top for my tarp. Figuring up stressed involved and material dimensions needed wouldn't take much on a press like that.

SARuger

Interesting! I see bent forks everyday on my job. My instructions are to sell the customer a new set of forks. We are not allowed to straighten them.

I don't see an issue as long as heat isn't involved, but my boss disagrees

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Interesting! I see bent forks everyday on my job. My instructions are to sell the customer a new set of forks. We are not allowed to straighten them.

I don't see an issue as long as heat isn't involved, but my boss disagrees

Every time the material gets bent it induces more 'work hardening' kinda like when you keep bending wire back and forth it eventually breaks, however on a bend like that I'd have no problem doing it... but these days with all the lawyers and osha,msha,etc's involved everyone's scared stiff to do anything.

Delmer

Forklift forks are one of those particular no go zones due to OSHA etc. Kinda like repairing ladders, crane booms, or telling ***** jokes, you might get away with it here and there, but be careful and don't make a business out of it.