• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pleased i am not working with this guy

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Where I come from it's said "where there's no sense there's no feeling" ........

Talking about carrying stuff on people's heads I once watched a bunch of women (probably over 100 of them) carry and place over 120 cubic metres of concrete in metal "bowls" for the foundations of a gyratory crusher in a mine in Northern India. A bit like the photo below. The only mechanized piece of equipment on the job was the concrete vibrator.......

upload_2020-12-3_21-9-8.png

AzIron

I think the title of the thread should have read dont irritate this guy lol

Nige

Nige
Are you sure that was for the concrete?
Kind regards
Uffex
I was there and I watched them do it. Somewhere in an old photo album up in my attic I probably have the 35mm images that I took at the time, around 30 years ago. I remember being utterly gobsmacked that volume of concrete could be moved in such a way. Oh, and BTW it was all mixed by hand as well, but that was a job for men .......... All told there must have been a couple of hundred people involved in mixing and placing that concrete.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Regards to moving concrete on baskets on the head; It strikes me that there is an engineer or project planner there that knows how many people/how many days it will take to make and move the volume of concrete required for whatever they are building. Like he has those numbers written down in a book somewhere and refers to it several times a year because you know this was not their first rodeo.

Nige

I recall during my time in India it was very common to see jobs being done manually rather than with machines for the simple fact that the country had 900+ million people (now 1.4 billionn) and somehow they all have to be fed.

So if you want a 3' wide x 6' deep trench half a mile long you don't rent a backhoe, you contract a couple of hundred (or more) locals with picks & shovels. What each of them gets paid every day enables his (or her) family to eat. That's the simple fact of it.