• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Please help identify this cylinder

Chad1980

Need help identifying this cylinder.
Looking for part number or equipment it came off of. Thinking large dozer? Can't find any markings on it.
Also anyone know if this is a 2500 or 3000 psi cylinder? It is appx 7.5-8" diameter and appx 52" long closed.20221104_132928.jpg 20221104_132946.jpg

Attachments

• 16675853104968713246723321008002.jpg
    16675853104968713246723321008002.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 2

Diesel Dave

I want to say a loader bucket cylinder. The threaded holes in the eye of the rod are often used to hold the return to dig sensing bar. My best guess a Deere 644H bucket cylinder.
After saying that , are you looking to reseal it or what’s the plan ?

Welder Dave

I'd say it would handle 3000 psi no problem. Does look like it could be a cylinder for loader bucket. Have to look at some different brands of loaders to see which has the same type of cylinder with the extended cap and allen head cap screws

Chad1980

I want to say a loader bucket cylinder. The threaded holes in the eye of the rod are often used to hold the return to dig sensing bar. My best guess a Deere 644H bucket cylinder.
After saying that , are you looking to reseal it or what’s the plan ?

Yes looking to reseal it, and to know max pressure I can apply to it...might be my new log splitter cylinder

Welder Dave

How do you know it needs to be resealed? It should work good for a log splitter and unless it leaks out the end or has really bad internal seals why bother to reseal it. It's not like it's going to be cycling back and forth all day long everyday.

icestationzebra

If you assume 7" bore - at 3000psi that comes out to over 57 tons! And assuming ~26" stroke it would take ~19gpm pump to get 15 second cycles. Assuming a constant volume pump set-up you need 33 hp. minimum when splitting. You may need a larger power source depending on the torque reserve. ISZ

Delmer

Two stage pumps are common for log splitters, and/or set it up for the rod end to feed the base for faster movement with no pressure. The rod is large so it will return with a decent rate. Could even find a constant torque control piston pump if you wanted to get fancy. Not unreasonable to use a cylinder like that in a log splitter, if you figure out what you're doing.

Welder Dave

Two stage pump and an automatic kickout log splitter valve that retracts the cylinder after splitting.

icestationzebra

Two stage pumps are common for log splitters, and/or set it up for the rod end to feed the base for faster movement with no pressure. The rod is large so it will return with a decent rate. Could even find a constant torque control piston pump if you wanted to get fancy. Not unreasonable to use a cylinder like that in a log splitter, if you figure out what you're doing.
Delmer and Dave - Agree and yes I did forget about the displaced rod volume. I didn't want to get into the myriad of options but to be more clear about my point - it can be used but someone is going to have to do a little figuring to make sure the final product is practical. ISZ

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That's going to be one mutha of a log splitter. Are you planning on joining in the "insane log splitters" group on YooToob? I reckon there must be a whole bunch of log splitter owners out there, with missing limbs!

Thirty5D

But who am I to judge? :D

Let me help . . .

The neighbors up there in La Conception, Québec have got it figured out and they are manufacturing a wood splitter that’s actually worth owning.

If you’re serious about a wood splitter that’s high quality, industrial duty, productive and safe to use, then give Louis Lapointe a call at Powersplit.com.
https://www.youtube.com/@PowersplitInternational/videos

I’ve been using the “static buggy” model for the last five years. It’s a real nice machine.

Post some pictures when you get yours.

powersplit.jpg